jdoughall

Admin panel is slow

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

I am new to PageLines and I am not a developer or programmer. I am a novice. Please talk to me like I were a 5 year old. No, wait, 5 year olds may know more computer talk than I do. With that out of the way, here is my problem,

I just installed PageLines recently. When I am in the dashboard and I click Site Options (as an example) sometimes the lag time is 90 seconds or more before the panel displays on the right. If I go back to Page Options (for example) it might be 4 to 9 seconds before Page Options appear.

I have deactivated ALL plugins.

I have activated a new theme (namely Twenty Twelve) and the slowness issue is greatly improved.

I have the latest version of WP running 3.5.1

Here is an exchange I had with the Host (Dreamhost). I have not figured out how to allow,deny the IP addresses yet, but as I said previously, when I deactivated PageLines the admin panel sped up considerably. Is this a unique issue? Have others experienced this? What are your ideas?

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, you wrote:

> When I'm in admin the response is awfully slow. It has been as slow as 90

> seconds. More often a delay in connecting and sometimes the wait time goes up

> over 5 seconds. Hopefully you'll be able to offer a solution or move you on

> to another server

> jdoughall

>

Hello J, thanks for contacting us.  I have looked at your issue and I

have found the following data on your site:

These are the IP addresses that are hitting your site the most:

25 173.58.165.176

32 12.248.40.138

869 71.204.72.139

You can see the disparity of the amount of times that the IP address

above has hit in relation to the other IP addresses.  I recommend

blocking it if you do not recognize the IP address:

wiki.dreamhost.com/Htaccess_file_overview#Deny.2FAllow_Certain_IP_Addresses

These are the scrips/files/plugins that are being called the most:

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/

admin/js/jquery.effects.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/jquery.layout.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/script.common.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/js/script.settings.js

20 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/css/objects.css

25 /wp-admin/admin.php

39 /wp-includes/js/thickbox/thickbox.css

50 /wp-content/themes/pagelines/admin/css/admin.css

52 /wp-admin/css/colors-fresh.min.css

84 /wp-login.php

I do not believe that the scripts that are being called would affect the

performance of the site as much as the IP address.  I highly recommend

you block the IP address that is hitting your site and see if that

improves the performance of the site.  You may also want to contact the

theme creator to see if the amount of calls to the theme is normal.  If

you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to

contact us.

Rob    547
Rob

Hi,

Love the comments about 5 year olds. I'm pretty much convinced my newborn grandson could beat me at any computer stuff now. His mom was using Paint and typing at 3... of course, she couldn't spell, like most adults today.  Odd how that condition never really improved. ;-)

In my experience, two things can cause this slowness.  First, plugin conflicts with older plugins.  Second, it could be bad server settings.

Check to make sure that any plugins you've activated are deactivated except for Akismet.  See if PageLines works faster under those circumstances.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

I did deactivate ALL plugins, including Askimet. The folks at my host are not very helpful. They said some IP addresses were hitting my site 800 times a day (see above) and told me to deny IP addresses but they did not tell me HOW to deny them. So I'm left where I am. :(

Rob    547
Rob

I'm under a similar attack now.

Do you have cPanel access?

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

I don't think so. I've been on chat with them for about 2 hours and we finally denied the IP addresses. Lord, I'll never use Dreamhost again.

Rob    547
Rob

There are only three things I can suggest:

1.  iWeb

2.  Bluehost

3.  WP-Engine

All of them thoroughly capable hosts.  It may be time to change.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

I'm quite impressed with Zippy Kids too. I posted on several hosts today saying I was testing to see how their support would respond. Zippy was amazing. WP Engine came in a distant 2nd.

Rob    547
Rob

I hope that migrating resolves your issue.

As I mentioned earlier, my own site and several tens of thousands of others are under a Denial of Service attack tonight. It's unfortunately very common.

When you  sign up with a new host, make sure you have cPanel, FTP access and a minimum of 64Mb of RAM dedicated for PHP processing. If you site is very well trafficked, up that to as much as 256Mb, though 128Mb should suffice.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

Thanks Rob. Now if I can just figure out how to use PageLines i'll be set. The start up training is terrible. They should look at Woo Themes Canvas videos to get an idea what training looks like.

Danny    1,327
Danny

You can find our documentation here, videos are good but they become out dated rather fast and this only leads to confusing the users even more.

http://support.pagelines.me/docs/

Please search our forums, before posting!

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

Back to my original problem. Why does WP admin speed up considerably when I DE-activate PageLines and just use a free WP theme like Twenty Eleven?

As for the documents, they should be compiled into a singe PDF for download.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Is the loading time only effecting your Wordpress admin dashboard or is it your site too ?

Can you provide a link to the site in question please.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

The worst problem is within the Admin panel

the site is www.gritsandtacos.com

It is under development.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

@Danny .... I have actually used a stopwatch and sometimes the lag is 90 seconds in switching from Site Options to Page Options, for example. I have spent HOURS with the folks at the host server and they cannot find any problem. And as I said, as soon as I disable PageLines my admin speed immediately increases exponentially.

Simon    247
Simon

Your comparing the framework to twentytwelve? How many options does it have? none. Custom interface with drag and drop? er no.

How many sections are loaded when you get the page options page loaded? Are they all in use? 

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

I am not comparing the options of the two. I have been experiencing slowness. In order to isolate the problem, I temporarily deactiveated PageLines, and the slowness issue was resolved. I am smarter than you apparently give me credit for being. I understand there are significant differences in the features provided by PageLines and those provided by free WP themes. But thank you for your comment anyway. BTW, I had absolutely NO sections in use when the slowness was observed.

Now maybe someone else can be helpful.

Simon    247
Simon

Well can you provide a screenshot of the page options screen?

If you want someone else to help i dont mind.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

I would be happy to provide a screen shot if I knew how to do that.

Simon    247
Simon

There are many screenshot applications, I use 'Jing' its free.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

Simon, I really appreciate your help but I know how to make a screen shot. I've already made it. I don't know how to attach that file here in this FORUM.

Simon    247
Simon

We recommend imgur.com but theres are 100's of image sharing sites on the web. You can also attach images to the actual post but the upload size is limited, we'd rather you host the image yourself.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

To be honest I don't understand why I need to post a screenshot in the first place. On the Word Press admin Dashboard, the choices under PageLines are:

PageLines

Dashboard

Site Options

Page Options

Drag & Drop

Store

It is that simple. If I am on Dashboard (under PageLines) and I then click on Site Options, it takes about 12 seconds to load Site Options (sometimes up to 90 seconds). If I then click on Page Options, it takes like 12 seconds to load Page Options, If I then cllick on Drag & Drop it takes ~12 seconds or more to load Drag & Drop.

The admin panel is S - L - O - W !!!!!!

Simon    247
Simon

OK well I only wanted to see how many added sections were being loaded on that page.

I realise your site is S - L - O - W !!!!!! seems to me like your host isn't up to the job.

Your on dreamhost right? A search for 'dreamhost slow' gets nearly 300,000 results.

I'll let the moderators take over this post, I tried to help, and if i offended you by asking for the screenshot im sorry.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

YES, I think that is a good idea. As I stated in an earlier post in answer to your question, NO SECTIONS HAVE BEEN ADDED. PERIOD. NONE. ZERO. NONE.

Thank you for your help.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi, OK, so we can diagnose the issue, can you provide the following information please.

1. Can you enable PageLines debug mode, which can be found in PageLines > Site Options > Advanced

2. Can you provide us with your PHP info, you can do this by following the instructions here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info

3. Can you install a free application called JING, it allows you to capture your screen by either image or video and then allows you to upload it to the web via a free screencast account.

All the instructions are on the Jing website - http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

As soon as Jing is installed, can you start a recording and then login to your Wordpress admin dashboard, so we can see the load time issue in action.

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.