jdoughall

Admin panel is slow

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

Thank you Danny. Your instructions were clear and I think I can do what you suggested. I downloaded Jing last night and if I have time today, I will post the PHP info and the Jing video.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

@Danny ... as I said at the start, I'm not a programmer/developer, etc, I'm a novice. I tried to follow the direction at wp codex and immediately ran into a problem.The instructions say to save the code as .php in a text editor. I used Apple's TextEdit and got a message that I could not save it as .php, that it had to be .rtf

At this point I think I've concluded that although PageLines is adverstised as not needing to know code, it is far above my sophistication level.

Therefore, I think I wil cancel my account and look for another framework like Woo Themes Canvas which looks much easier to use. Thank you for your help.

And to @Simon_P if you search "slow" on PageLines forum you find lots of people complaining.

Jenny    33
Jenny

Hi there. Were you able to enable debug like Danny asked in #1 above? That tells us a lot about your site's internals.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

@Jenny .. I don't think you read my last post.

Rob    547
Rob

Hi,

None of the things Danny requested required coding or programming. Everything was incredibly basic and rudimentary and would apply no matter what theme or framework you used.  I completely understand if you're frustrated and upset. I would be too, but please realize that frustration is with the condition, not the help we are trying to provide.

To get a PHP info file, call your host and ask them for it if you're uncomfortable creating and uploading a file. They should be able to do this for you quite easily.

Let me say, in response to your statement about many who've posted here in the forum about slow sites that this issue is not PageLines but servers.  Most of those who've experienced this condition have used incredibly inexpensive and resource-poor hosting which doesn't provide the necessary minimums for speedy processing.

Candidly, I've experienced this problem myself and through trial, error and investigation, discovered that the traffic to my site increased, pulling more resources than available.  I ultimately had to get the host to increase the resources by migrating my account to a bigger, better one.

I assure you that Simon, Danny and Jenny are trying very hard to help you but they need to see certain settings and conditions to determine how best to point you in the right direction.  Since you're unable to provide screenshots, I'll provide you with a generic set of simply instructions that should help.

1.  Call your host and ask them what the available RAM is for PHP processing.

2.  If the number is less than 64 MegaBytes (Mb), kindly ask them to increase those resources to a minimum of 64Mb, but preferably 128Mb.

3.  If they refuse or make excuses, contact Bluehost or WP-Engine, which have WordPress ready servers capable of handling your account.  They could even help with migration.  Any host who refuses or makes excuses for that request doesn't, quite honestly, deserve your business.

WordPress itself uses many PHP resources - these are the things it processes, like posts, pages, blog pages, etc.  Admittedly, PageLines does add more processes as will any other framework because we use things like sections, custom post types, etc.  That's why when changing to default themes, the speed picks up.  But then, you get much less.   

If you put it in the context of a car, you only need regular gasoline to run a Chevy or a Toyota. But if you're going to drive that candy red Ferrari or the racing green Lotus, then you need premium gasoline.  Liken that gasoline to the RAM available.  Less than 32Mb and you're running on fumes. Soon, you'll run out of gasoline and the site will stop or slow down to a crawl.

There is a learning curve for absolutely any theme or framework, and indeed, for WordPress itself. If you still desire a refund, please write to hello@pagelines.com as these are not processed through the forum.

I hope this helps to alleviate some of your speed issues and concerns.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

Rob, I just wish someone had simply said ask your host instead of sending me pages of hoops to jump through. As I said from the start, I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER OR DEVELOPER. I have very limited skills in this area. I contacted the host and they provided th PHP information in about 2 minutes ... something that would have taken me 2 days to do. Rob, you're the first person who even suggested that. SIMON kept asking me how many sections I had loaded long after I had already told him I had loaded NO sections. ARe you folks even reading the past posts?

So how do I give you the PhP info?

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

P.S., Dreamhost gave me a URL to the PHP data but I'm not sure I want to post a URL on a public forum

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

Looks like the Memory Limit is 90 mb - someone from your company told me the other day that if I had average traffic I'd be okay with 64 mb

Rob    547
Rob

90Mb is not a good value for that. It should be in values that are multiples of 1024Kb like 96Mb.  And yes, 64Mb is normally sufficient for minimally trafficked sites.

Rob    547
Rob

You can provide that link here. It's perfectly safe.  There's no information contained in those links that isn't in almost every other site around the globe.  No worries.

Rob    547
Rob

Thanks.

As soon as Simon is in tomorrow, I'll ask him to take a look at that. He's our senior developer and knows just what to look for.

Rob    547
Rob

Okay, without Simon I was able to make a discovery you may simply not like.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/uJTqnKn3l/http://gritsandtacos.com/

Pingdom is the Rolls Royce of site speed evaluators.  They set the benchmark.

If you look at the results, you'll see what I do in the picture below...

The delays are not coming from WordPress nor PageLines, but directly from your server.  The proof is that it takes multiple seconds to load the domain itself before anything else even loads.

As I mentioned earlier, 90Mb is not a correct figure and, I suspect that whomsoever set that up for you had no clue, which may indicate a completely bad setup for your hosting from the start.  That appears evidenced by the Pingdom report.

Further, if you check the time it takes to load the compiled CSS, you'll see it's a total of 934Ms or less than 1 second. Your present slides are not the defaults, which are not large at all in file size, and you have nothing loading that's capable of slowing the site.  Perhaps some plugin conflicts might cause an issue, but then they'd not cause the domain itself to load so slowly.

I'm sorry to do this, but my recommendation is to promptly migrate your domain and site to a company like BlueHost or WP-Engine or get a dedicated server at iWeb.  Unfortunately, we cannot fix bad hosting.

post-6-0-72755000-1359687627_thumb.jpg

jdoughall    0
jdoughall

What's your opinion of Zippy Kids, which is also mentioned somewhere else on PageLines' site. I did some preliminary checks and their support seems really good compared to WP Engine..

Rob    547
Rob

I don't know them or of them.  Just make sure they're not a reseller. If they're not, then go for it.

Erwan    37
Erwan

Hi,

Since this topic is not closed / marked as resolved, and it's the only recent one I found in PL support forums concerning backend performance issues, I am taking the liberty of asking a few related additional questions here. If it's not relevant, forgive me and tell me if I should post somewhere else.

Actually, I obviously have a problem similar to the one exposed by jdoughall, i.e. an amazingly slow admin with Pagelines compared to Twenty Twelve for instance, using a shared hosting service with a 80 Mb RAM limit for PHP processing. For my information, did you solve your problem and how ?

1. I read this topic (and others...) very carefully, followed indications, and my finding is pretty weird (if you consider I'm let's say 7 years old...). Actually, PL backend with no plugins at all is more or less as fast as any other light theme (vs. framework)  like Twenty Twelve. BUT, with a dozen of well known and "essential" plugins (Jetpack, Disqus, BackWPup, Google XML Sitemaps, Wysija Newsletters,...), Twenty Twelve backend remains fast, whereas Pagelines is dramatically slow. And, once again, I speak of backend : no significant difference for frontend (tested with Pingdom, GTMetrix,...).

Hence : does it make sense for you ? Maybe PL creates more "conflicts" with plugins, in my poor shared hosted environment ?

2. I read many different assumptions pertaining RAM requirements for Pagelines in the forums. Are my 80 Mb enough for my very minimally trafficked site, or not ? Could it explain moreover these specific backend issues ? Oh, and, if I read well, do I have to define in my wp-config the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT to 64 Mb or 96 Mb (if 80 is really not a good value) ?

3. This said... I'm now 3 years old and a bit lost. I created a CloudFlare account, linked my server to it, and activated ALL CloudFlare optimizing options (beyond plain CDN --> http://www.cloudflare.com/features-optimizer), i.e. compression, "Rocket Loader", and so on, including HTML / CSS / JS minification. And then suddenly not only my frontend performance rocketed, but my Pagelines backend too... Is this logical ? Any hint / explanation !?  

Many thanks in advance :-)

Best regards.

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hi Erwanlescop 

Please could create a new topic with your questions please? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Erwan    37
Erwan

Hi Martin,

It would take me hours considering my English is not that fluent, and that I would have to copy / paste & summarize this whole topic !

Too bad :-

Rob    547
Rob

Hi,

Martin is simply asking you to copy the post you made and create a new one.  Adding to someone else's topic is considered hijacking which we don't support.  We'll be happy to help you with a new topic.

You don't have to re-write the entire text you wrote, but we're not allowed to support this here. Thanks for your kind cooperation.

Erwan    37
Erwan

Hi Rob,

1. I'm sure you understood I did not intend to hijack... ;)

Since this topic is not closed / marked as resolved, and it's the only recent one I found in PL support forums concerning backend performance issues, I am taking the liberty of asking a few related additional questions here. If it's not relevant, forgive me and tell me if I should post somewhere else.

2. I just wondered if It might not be better for the community of support forums users to avoid redundancy of topics (same question asked and asked again, one way or another, especially when no all-embracing tutorial / doc / FAQ is avalaible). Looking at it in this way, I thought we had a good example here : my questions were (well, mostly, IMO...) related to a recently presented problem and its subsequent Q&A and informations. I hope you understood my underlying reasoning ;)

3. That beeing said, I'll abide by your instructions - guidelines and will create a new topic, trying to make it useful (for me... and others !), clear... and not redundant.

Thanks to both of you Martin & Rob for your responsiveness.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

The reason as to why we ask users to create a new topic even if the issues are similar, is that most of the time, our users will either ask another question or the issues end up not being similar.

Now if we didn't do this, when other PageLines users are using the search function for answers to their issues, the topic that they think holds the answer to their issue actually ends up not even being related.

You can find our FAQ and documentation here:

http://support.pagelines.me/faq/

http://support.pagelines.me/docs/

Regarding your issue to your poor load time for your admin dashboard, this is most likely caused by either plugins installed, poor hosting or a server configuration issue.

Also comparing Twenty Ten, Eleven or Twelve isn't really an accurate comparison as none of the default Wordpress themes comes with the amount of options, features or functionality thats included with PageLines Framework.

I have several test sites and never encountered a slow loading admin dashboard so I recommend you disable all your plugins, clear your cache and see if this improves load time. If it doesn't improve then create a new topic and provide the following the information:

You PHPinfo, you can learn how to do this here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info

Enable PageLines Debug mode - (PageLines > Site Options > Advanced)

Please search our forums, before posting!

Erwan    37
Erwan

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your answer.

1. I'm not sure to fully understand your "topic strategy", but nevermind : you of course know better than me the issues.

2. I know where to find PL FAQ & doc : I never posted any question without reading them twice, and repeatedly searching forums. 

3. I do NOT compare PL with Twenty Twelve "on the same basis". Maybe I'm 3 years old, but old enough to understand the difference. That is not, and was not my point. And I did disable plugins to understand why my PL admin dashboard was slow, for instance. Quoting myself :

Actually, PL backend with no plugins at all is more or less as fast as any other light theme (vs. framework)  like Twenty Twelve.

4. I make tests again and again, and will create new topics for the points I raised which you did'nt adress (at all : read me again, If I may).

Best regards.

Danny    1,327
Danny

I apologise but I didn't address your question regarding the plugins you listed above slowing down your admin dashboard. I am awaiting your new topic, to be created, then I was going to reply there. When you create this topic, can you list all the plugin you use, so I can test this myself please.

Also, provide your PHP info and enable PageLines debug.

PHP info - http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info
PageLines Debug - PageLines > Site Options > Advanced.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Erwan    37
Erwan

All right Danny, I obviously did'nt fully understand you.

I'll do my best to post appropriate & separate topics after last tests (I don't wan't to "spam" with inaccurate - irrelevant questions), pertaining the points I initially raised :

• slow PL admin with or without plugins ?
  • PHP RAM requirements & settings for my site ?
  • CloudFlare impact (or not) on backend with shared hosted server ?

See you later "there".

And thanks again for your responsiveness.