Sign in to follow this  
avanr

Spammed Header?

avanr

URGENT

Please assist in advising how the link "Bet 365" got into my header. Using firebug to locate to offending text, but for the life of me dont know where or which file to edit.

Sitelink = http://www.pamelatosh.co.za/

greenfly

Hi avanr 

First thing to do is change your site password (preferably use a password generator to get a totally unique password). You will need to contact your host and inform them you may have been hacked. 

Also you would be wise to remove any outdated plugins and update them where possible removing them if not. 

Make sure you are using the latest version of Wordpress and Pagelines and lastly please read the following article 

http://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_My_site_was_hacked

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Rob

Hi,

It's clear the two links in your header are the result of a hacking by parties unknown. 

In addition to the information Martin provided, I'd strongly recommend that you contact your host's abuse department and cite the two links.  Those links are behind the hacking and should be turned into any legal authorities in your location.  Insist that your host do this promptly.  Snapshot it, but I'd recommend removing that content quickly.

Make sure every plugin is current and compatible with Wordpress 3.5.  Don't use older plugins. 

Change the root password, the Admin password and delete any unknown users. Make sure your settings prohibit anyone registering above Subscriber level.  Make sure you also check all other information in posts, pages, footers, sidebars, etc.  If any plugins use their own passwords, change those too.

You won't find the links in Firebug. 

Also, for safety sake, I'd recommend asking the host to run a root kit scan to find viruses placed in your site.  Look in every folder for anything that doesn't belong. If you don't know it, delete it.  Many times these hacks enable the hacker to place mailer software in your site so act quickly before you're cited as a spammer.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

avanr

Thanks for that - all steps were taken already before posting. The next question though, is how do I remove the link that is already there?

Danny

I suggest contacting your host and ask them to inspect for you, as simply removing the links may not be enough as they may have added code that is not visible.

Please search our forums, before posting!