suzyo

Sections vs. Plugins

suzyo    1
suzyo

Hierarchy: I can't figure this out. I bought CatLoop (which is great) and it is supposed to be a section.

I find it here: http://imgur.com/vjD6K1m

Also, these sections are listed in Plugins > Pageline- sections: http://imgur.com/kpQ4VJd

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Thanks.

Simon    247
Simon

Yes, all looks right there.

anthalis    5
anthalis

Hi Suzy,

Now I finally get the question with the section vs. plugin (I wear a thick pumpkin on my shoulders sometimes :D ).

If you remember, when you first installed the Framework, you were asked to install the PageLines Sections plugin before being able to download anything from the store. That is because the store sections depend on the existence of this plugin since its directory is their "home" after installation.

As a rule, in PageLines, any section that does not come natively with the framework (namely any section you install from the store, free or paid) will appear within the PageLines Sections directory under Plugins. It's just the way it works.

For future reference: All in all you have 3 places where your sections are/can be stored:

1. Native PL sections (ready for use) - under wp-content/themes/pagelines/sections;

2. Store sections (free and premium) - under wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/ [the-section-directory]

3. Child theme specific sections - under wp-content/themes/your-custom-child-theme {can be a theme you build or a child theme bought from the store}/sections

suzyo    1
suzyo

Thank you SO MUCH, Anthalis! BTW, did you do the cat illustration? It's adorable. Thanks again from a fellow pumpkin head. - Suzy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• klausk
      By klausk+
      I really loved CatLoop on old pagelines. The dream section!! How do I get the same/similar in DMS? I've searched and cant figure. All I want to do is add category specific, paginated posts with thumbs, onto a regular page. I know there are non-DMS plugins that can do this, but I'd prefer sticking with Pagelines/DMS if at all poss. Thanks for any pointers.
    • tandan
      By tandan
      hi there, I have installed catloop in content area and would like to set a limit to how many display. Right now it paginates but this could get pretty long. Please advise how I can set this limit. 
      thank you!
    • erin-wsk
      By erin-wsk
      I'm trying to show a single post on a static page using the catloop section. I want it to show in traditional blog view with the photo and part of the text with a "read more" button. I've changed the pagelines options to show full post text and normally the read more would be automatic. However, for the catloop post- I'm still getting the full text.

Is this possible? Thanks!
    • basmati
      By basmati
      hello, i created that same topic in pl forum - but danny told me to place it on the store forum with prefix catloop - so here we go again:

i use font awesome icon font on my new page and it works well (under
      dev.). but i can't manage to get icon fonts to work within the text area
      of post excerpts (together with PL catloop plugin) - they simply won't
      show up. within post and pages and even in the footer nav i use font
      awesome without any problem.

HTML for icon font is:
      <i class="icon-external-link"></i> example: from a static page with catloop category post excerpts (no
      icon font visible) - i click on read more - and now - within the post
      the icon font is visible. i think the catloop plugin causes the problem
      any ideas ?

Edit: Sometimes the TinyMCE erases the HTML for icon font - when you switch to html mode and back!