pixels2pages

Help! I have crashed my site.

pixels2pages

I have crashed my website, and cannot get anything to load to correct the error. I also can't get the pagelines dashboard or support page or live chat to load. Can anyone help me urgently?? I know exactly what I did, but I can't see how to undo it without getting to the dashboard.

greenfly

HI Pixels2pages

Can you explain what you did? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

pixels2pages

I edited the class.posts.php by adding a little html code to change a font size. I kept a copy of the original to restore it in case it didn't work, but now I get an Error 500 if I try to load it (or anything else!)

Danny

Ok, we do not recommend editing the core files nor provide support for edited files, the reason why we do not recommend it, is due to the issue you have now. To resolve the issue, you will need to download a fresh copy of PageLines Framework from your Launchpad and upload a fresh copy of the class.posts.php file. This should bring your site back online.

If you wish to make customisation changes to your website, you need to do the following:

Inserting HTML into your site can be achieved via a hook or using the ContentBox section or the Sidebar sections in together with text widgets. Making changes to things such as backgrounds, font size etc... can be achieved with custom CSS.

See our customization documentation for more information:

http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/customization-methods/

http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/custom-css/

Please search our forums, before posting!

pixels2pages

Thanks Danny. the odd thing is I did it once without a problem, but the second time it crashed.

What I was trying to do was increase the font size of the "Tagged with" link at the bottom of each post. I can't find instructions to do that anywhere.

greenfly

Could you provide us with a link to your site and we can take a look!?

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

pixels2pages

Sorry - another question. I can't get to the site dashboard to reinstall Pagelines. Not sure what to do???

greenfly

You could try to contact your hosting provider to ask for a restore from a backup. This should get your site back to how it was previous to making changes to the core files. 

Once you get the site back up again please let us know and we can advise on making changes to font sizes etc

Rob

When reinstalling PageLines, the best method is to FTP into the site and navigate to wp-content/themes.  There, you'll find a folder called pagelines.  Delete it.

Open the zip file you download from your Launchpad account.  You'll find a pagelines folder in there.  Move it to your desktop.

Upload the pagelines folder from the desktop directly to wp-content/themes so that you have wp-content/themes/pagelines.

This should correct all errors from potential conflicts, coding errors, etc.

As Danny points out, an error in coding a core file can and likely will cause all sorts of errors.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

pixels2pages

Thank you for your help. I managed to replace the corrupted file so all is smooth sailing again. 

pixels2pages

What I was trying to do was alter the font size and color (and possibly the text) of the tags link. Currently it says TAGGED WITH in very small, pale gray lettering. Can you advise me how to do that? Thanks.

Rob

Hi,

The best suggestion is to install Firebug for Firefox or use Chrome's Inspection Tool.  These help you specifically find CSS elements, test them in a sandbox and when you know they work, copy them.

Once copied the code may be placed in Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Custom Code or in the PageLines Customize plugin's style.css or a child theme's stylesheet.

You should never try to edit core files for CSS as there should be no CSS in them except the stylesheet and if you edit the core stylesheet you're likely to corrupt the site or may expect it to be overwritten often.

Firebug or Inspection tool let you pinpoint specific elements and show you both the HTML as well as the actual CSS that makes the element work.  That's the safe and regular way to make changes such as you desired.  I'd also recommend strongly reading our docs at support.pagelines.me/docs

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur