jamiewalden

Slow site after upgrading to pagelines from platformpro

jamiewalden    1
jamiewalden

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of upgrading our site from PlatformPro to Pagelines 2.3.8 and I'm encountering a major discrepancy in speed. 

The site with Pagelines can be found here: http://www.americandatanetwork.com 

Below are links to the performance tests from pingdom.

Pagelines site: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/EHoO4Is21/http://stage.americandatanetwork.com

PlatformPro site: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/vVNNoNNn3/http://www.americandatanetwork.com 

From reading other forum posts, we added the LESS_DEFINE_MODE thing, which doesn't seemed to have made much difference. 

Also we tried disabling all plugins, but that didn't fix it.

Debug mode is on and we don't have W3 Total Cache on either (Turning W3 total cache on doesn't fix the speed issue though).

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Simon    247
Simon

Jamie, your site is hosted on a windows box. The file css mode just will not work.

Your only hope is to enable the static file cache with w3 cache or whatever cache plugin.

Any reason why you opted for windows as a server?

jamiewalden    1
jamiewalden

Our software applications that our tech team develops are on all on windows, so we're kind of a windows shop. I enabled W3, and actually it seems slower than it was. How do i enable static file cache?

jamiewalden    1
jamiewalden

Would installing Apache on our windows servers fix the issue? 

Simon    247
Simon

OK here all i can suggest.

1. install the customize plug, activate and add this to the functions.php in the customize folder:

add_filter( 'render_css_posix_', '__return_true' );

The above *might* enable the file based css, its completely untested on windows though.

2. Enable the page cache advanced mode. Used mod_rewrite to serve static html files strait to the browser. Again I have no idea if this is even supported on WINNT you'd maybe have to ask the W3 support about this?

3. Disable the file based object and database caching, this actually slows your site down unless your using a memory cache like APC/XCACHE/memcahced which are all not supported on WINNT.

Simon    247
Simon
Would installing Apache on our windows servers fix the issue? 

You cant do that, all your sites using ASP would break.

jamiewalden    1
jamiewalden
OK here all i can suggest.

1. install the customize plug, activate and add this to the functions.php in the customize folder:

add_filter( 'render_css_posix_', '__return_true' );

The above *might* enable the file based css, its completely untested on windows though.

2. Enable the page cache advanced mode. Used mod_rewrite to serve static html files strait to the browser. Again I have no idea if this is even supported on WINNT you'd maybe have to ask the W3 support about this?

3. Disable the file based object and database caching, this actually slows your site down unless your using a memory cache like APC/XCACHE/memcahced which are all not supported on WINNT.

How do I enable page cache advanced mode and use mod_rewrite? I don't see options for that in W3. Sorry, some of this stuff is over my head. Thanks. 

Simon    247
Simon

I dont think it will work on ISS at all. Your really very limited.

Simon    247
Simon

On a plus side the filter worked, your css is now written to a file.

jamiewalden    1
jamiewalden

Cool. So i can't install apache somehow in addition to IIS? Would creating a virtual server, then installing apache work? We have MySQL already FYI.

Simon    247
Simon

you cant have apache and iss on the same server

jamiewalden    1
jamiewalden

what about creating a virtual server that's technically separate? 

Simon    247
Simon

Sure you could do that i suppose.

jamiewalden    1
jamiewalden

So if we moved our site to an apache server, it would be faster? Why does windows make it slow?

Simon    247
Simon

Im not saying it will be faster, or better.

Windows does not support a lot of functionality that other servers do.

Windows is for desktops.

Thats just my opinion though.