Sign in to follow this  
rockaixpress

Help for creating menus and change their permalinks

rockaixpress

Hi! My StationPro's new site will be released on September, and I have only one thing that don't work. I've made a menu (I'm using Wordpress 3), check the box on the StationPro's admin to accpet menu, the menu appears exactly where I want it to be, but I want this menu to be a specific page of one of my category (name of the menu and the category : podcast). The problem is when I make a new post, using the "podcast" category, I want it to NOT appear on the blog page. So, my question is : how can I make a post don't appear on the blog? Do I need to insert a code? And where? And the other question is about the permalink of this category. Is it possible to have, e.g. www.mysite.com/podcast (and for the whole site : www.mysite.com/the page or category)? Thanks for your help!

cmunns

If you use this permalink structure each post should be preceded by it's category `/%category%/%postname%/` Also, to not show the podcast category in the main blog page you can do a query above the loop on _posts.php...so at the top of that file put this `query_posts('cat=-x');` where x is the category id of your podcast category

rockaixpress

Hi! Thanks for you answer! For the permalinks, in fact I've downloaded the All in SEO plugin, and I think I'll change all the posts/pages & category links manually, because my site's menu is made with page & category (you have "Home", "blog" & the contact form what are pages, and the "podcast" category. I've tried to insert the code you have written, I've put it on the beginning of the _posts.php file, and I have met 2 errors : when I've write the code as you write it, the code appears on the page, so I've written it like that :

<?query_posts('cat=-4');>

(where 4 is my podcast category),and the code doesn't appear anymore, but the "podcast" posts are still on my blog page. I think the code's good, I am a beginner when it's about touching the codes, I've surelly made an error (maybe on paste the code on the wrong place, or something like that). Is it possible this code don't work because I'm still working on my site in localhost? Thanks again for your precious help!

rockaixpress

Alright, I've made a research on the query post, and I've found the code who works! This is it :

<?php query_posts('cat=-4'); ?>

Now I'll try to change my permalinks on september, when the site will be released, but permalinks aren't the biggest problem I've encountered! Thanks for help me go on the right way, I made this topic resolved! :) See ya