Sign in to follow this  
acuitas

Why can a hacker install a file in my theme?

acuitas

I have an excellent host plan at Ipower. I have WordFence plugin guarding my site and informing me of breaches. I don't think my host plan password has been identified. Its not an easy one and I would have worse damage by now. I have the latest version of Pagelines Framework. Why can a hacker install a file in my theme such as this one implied by the path:

malware URL: /hermes/bosweb/web179/b1796/ipw.username/public_html/mydomain/talk/wp-content/themes/pagelines/js/script.supersize.js

Wordfence alerted me of malware, and I deleted this file. Should I have done that? Can anyone offer me some info here? Thank you.

Rob

All sorts of external things can identify any javascript file as malware, but it's not true.

If your site was hacked, it was not as a result of any PageLines products, including the referenced javascript file.

Plugins allow hackers opportunities to access your site, particularly when site managers/owners fail to maintain and upkeep the updates.  It is important to check every week to see if your plugins have upgrades or updates available. Failure to do so, leads to security loopholes that hackers use to gain access, hence the name 'security loophole'.

Every time WP comes out with an update, you should be checking to see if your plugins are outdated. Wait about three days and see if there's any plugin updates. if not, check the plugins, deactivating anything that's not up to date and compatible with WordPress' latest release.  Don't be afraid to write plugin authors and ask if they're going to update shortly.  No reply in a few days? Dump it and replace it.

Many plugin authors are hobbyists.  So they don't really maintain their product, no matter how great it may be for your site.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Simon

That js file is part if the framework. Redownload the zip from your members area and upload the js file again. If that plugin flag it as hacked again then it's a false positive.