starlen

Edit Excerpt Display

starlen

Hi - 

This should be simple - I can't find the section that contains the excerpt code. I just want to move my title and metabar above the image.

I have a child theme setup, and I understand copying sections and editing them - I just can't figure out what section contains the display code for the blog excerpts.

Any help?

Thanks.

Danny

Hi,

As far as I know, this isn't as simple as you may think and would require editing the core files, something we do not recommend or support.

I think the best course of action would be for you to contact one of our PageLines Pros.

http://www.pagelines.com/pros/

Please search our forums, before posting!

starlen

I understand PHP, and I understand the Wordpress loop. I can edit the file without a problem - I just need to know which core file it is.

Thanks,

Star

Danny

If you understand PHP and the Wordpress Loop, you may want to use a filter instead. However, if you wish to proceed with editing the core files. The file you may want to check out is:

/includes/class.posts.php

Remember that is we do not recommend editing core file or support it.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Simon

What exactly are you trying to do? We have added 100's of actions and filters so you never need to edit files.

starlen

First, and most simply, I'm just looking to move the metabar and title to be above the post thumbnail in blog view. I'm about to look at class.posts.php to do that.

Apart from that, I'd like to have the fullwidth / no sidebar homepage with a featured post at top, and then have the rest of the blog list pages (from page 2 and on back) have a sidebar. Is there an easy way to do that with the actions and filters provided by pagelines?

Star

James B

Hi Star,

Here's a link to the list of filters and actions inside Pagelines http://api.pagelines.com/hooks

I don't think you'll be able to use a hook/filter to edit the layout in the way you want, sounds more like you'd need a custom section to pull out the top post and place it in the page template area above the sidebar, leaving the postloop in the content area. Setting that up could be tricky.

You could use a plugin like special recent posts to achieve something similar though, check out http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/special-recent-posts/

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

starlen

Okay, let me back up. I'm used to setting up a child theme, and then editing the pieces I need separately to override portions of the base theme. I have set up a child theme for my pagelines install, but I don't see where I can edit class.posts.php. So, in the past, to change social icons, I'd copy that section into my child theme and directly write my code in that php file (though, following your lead / suggestion, I used hooks to do it this time).

Can I use hooks to print my post excerpts in the following order?

Metabar

Title

Thumbnail

Excerpt

Here - http://invisiblemap.com/alexis/ - , you can see it's the default order:

Thumbnail

Title

Metabar

Excerpt

That's the first issue. The second issue about the template - I basically want my landing page to be "Magazine Layout Mode", without a sidebar, but subsequent blog listing pages to be "Blog Layout Mode", with a sidebar. Is there a simple way to specify this that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help.

Star

Rob

Hi,

First, let me say that almost anything's possible. Whether it's practical is another kettle of fish.

We offer the Action Map plugin (Free in the Store) which identifies each and every component of any page or post construction. It will show you the hooks to which you can write amendments in your child theme's functions.php.

People have used hooks to move elements of the loop before. 

As Danny pointed out however, editing core files isn't supported or recommended.

Star, most folks use static landing pages to which they add any plugins they wish.  Using Boxer plugin, a static homepage can effectively have two columns without sidebars.  Using Special Recent Posts, one can implement a select number of posts with thumbs in each of two columns. The template you select may simply hide the sidebar, based upon your preferred settings.

In creating your static blog page, you can always set up blog layout with a sidebar.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur