Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jsharpe2001

Pagelines Compiled Css - Slow Load Time

jsharpe2001

I've reviewed other posts on this subject, notably this one: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/23908-website-ultra-slow/

And this one: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/22660-extremely-slow-website-loading-time/

I hired a developer to address this (and a few other issues). Here's what's been done so far to improve load time:

W3 Total Cache has been set up in conjunction with MaxCDN. 

define( 'LESS_FILE_MODE', true ) has been added to wp-config.php

However, the compiled CSS file is still loading slowly and the developer I hired has told me that there's nothing that can be done about it. I'm not entirely sure that's accurate based on some of the other posts, but I don't comprehend some of the responses in the forum on this subject. I've referred the developer to those posts and he says that none of those are "proper solutions."

So, is this guy right or wrong? If the latter, what can I tell him specifically? 

The site in question is www.sustainablesummer.org.

Thanks,

Jeff

Simon

So both threads suggested enabling debug so we can assist you, can you do that?

jsharpe2001

Thanks, Simon. Presumably that can be done. I've asked the developer to do it, but didn't necessarily insist on it, because he's essentially told me that it's futile. What will debugging reveal? Or, more precisely, why should I insist on this step?

Simon

You need a developer to go into the advanced site options and tick 'debug on'?

I cant help you while you have W3 cache on, and debug off.

If you want further help, sort those 2 factors out and post back. I'll be able to tell you straight away if its fixable.

jsharpe2001

I turned W3 off and enabled debug in the Pagelines advanced site options. Can you please take a look? Thanks!

Simon
PHP User : Posix functions are disabled on this host!

Thats the reason right there, php posix extensions are not installed. By default php is installed with it included, but your host decided not to.

We can override it like this, but there is no guarantee what user the file will be saved as, thats what the posix functions tell us:

add_filter( 'render_css_posix_', '__return_true' );

add to child functions.php 

jsharpe2001

Thanks, Simon. That seems to have made the difference. That file is now being loaded via the CDN, which I was told was not possible by the developer, and it's now loading in about .5 seconds, compared to 1.5 to 2 seconds previously. So, we're in good shape. With regards to your "no guarantee" comment, should I ask my host to install php posix extensions as a permanent solution instead of using the workaround?

Simon
Won't make a difference, all it does is make sure your php is running under you username so you own any file you save.
Cheap hosts run apache under one shared user and that's not too secure

Simon
Oh and a developer should know not to use the word impossible ;)

jsharpe2001

Thanks for the help. I definitely appreciate it. 

Inbound Horizons Inc.

Brilliant! I've been looking for an answer to the Pagelines compiled CSS speed sink for a bit now, go figure Rackspace would've disabled PHP posix on their cloud sites, worked great once that filter was in the functions file.

Quick note to any other Pagelines user: use the Pagelines Customize plugin and add this filter that Simon outlined above directly into that functions.php using a text editor, don't mess with the core files or you could A - do something in the core functions file you shouldn't have done and damage your overall site or B - lose the mod when you upgrade. (Or put it in the child theme functions.php if you know how).

Thanks Simon for a simple solution to this problem;

Rob

Simon's a gem!  I'm glad you've been helped!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur