Sign in to follow this  
psimpson

Problems With Site In Ie

psimpson

Hi there,

I've developed a site on my own hosting account for a client at http://www.ensodesign.co.uk/stager .  The site functions fine across all browsers.  The site has since been migrated to a different server location with the same hosting company at http://www.christianlegacy.org.uk . The hosting company did the migration for me and it seemed to be functioning fine until I viewed the site in IE9  where the layout was broken.  I carried out the following checks: disabled each plugin to see whether these were causing any problems but nothing came up.  Also the development site prior to the migration has the same plugins and is not breaking the layout in IE.  I'm using the Customize plugin and did add a few additional lines of CSS post migration, so disabled that to see if any of my custom CSS was messing with the layout but that had no affect.  I then thought that maybe the Pagelines theme had somehow got corrupted during the migration so deactived and then deleted the theme files and reinstalled a fresh theme but all to no avail.  I can't think what else could be causing it so was putting it out there to see if someone could shed some light on it.  

Many thanks, Phil

James B

Hi there, is 'compatibility mode' enabled in IE? This has been know to cause issues with the layout.

If that doesn't apply could post a screenshot of the view in IE for us, I'm on a mac so I can't see the problem first hand unfortunately.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

psimpson

Hi James,  

Thanks for the prompt response.

I'm on a Mac too and running Parallels to use IE9 to test sites.  That seems to have been the problem!  I'm not that familiar with the IE and its compatibility mode.  However, when I toggle the button to blue (assuming it's then on and in compatibility mode?) the layout breaks.  When it's grey (assuming compatibility mode is is then off?) it's fine. I've also just tested some of my other Pagelines sites and they also break in compatibility mode.  So I'm assuming it's usually off by default and I must have inadvertently switched it on at some stage?

Phew, and there was me thinking it was going to be a long night trying to debug my site!

Cheers,

Phil

James B

I'm not really sure how compatibility mode works, i know you can toggle it on and off, and that there's an icon that shows up in the menu if it's on. It's usually off by default, sometimes if there's an issue with a site it will ask if you want to switch on etc, I'm glad you got it sorted :-)

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B