hireconrad

Site Search Results

hireconrad

Hi,

i am nearing the completion of my site, and I tried using my search function and its producing weird results and the links given dont go anywhere useful.

A few notes:

Most of my site content is located in banners, and html5 inside banners.

Any way to customize what results I get and how they are linked to the content on the site?

Any suggestions perhaps on other search plugins I could use instead?

hireconrad.com/hireconrad/

James B

Hi Conrad

Banners are a custom post type and fall outside the scope of WordPress search.  While we a search field in the menu, it will only perform a standard wordpress search.  Since it won't read banner content, by putting most of your content in banners, the search cannot find your content.

The solution would be to move your content out of banners and into pages and posts to be found by the standard WordPress search. Then, your search results will work.

Otherwise you'd need to find a plugin which could search through and display custom post types as well as standard wordpress content.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

ellenmva

I found the Swiftype Plugin works. It crawls the whole page and returns the results from banners. It's currently free though they do plan a pricing model with a free level. You can learn more at their website. To get results you need to have the site visible to search engines when it crawls the site. I found better results by creating the search engine through Swiftype's website then connect the plugin to it.

The other option is Google Custom Search Engine which also crawls the whole page.  There is a cost -- $100 annually for less than 20,000 queries. The Google CSE Plugin integrates it into WordPress search.

Ellen

• Like 1

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

www.elsue.com www.betterdms.com

hireconrad
I found the Swiftype Plugin works. It crawls the whole page and returns the results from banners. It's currently free though they do plan a pricing model with a free level. You can learn more at their website. To get results you need to have the site visible to search engines when it crawls the site. I found better results by creating the search engine through Swiftype's website then connect the plugin to it.

The other option is Google Custom Search Engine which also crawls the whole page.  There is a cost -- $100 annually for less than 20,000 queries. The Google CSE Plugin integrates it into WordPress search.

Ellen

Hi Ellenmva,

are you saying that you are not using the swiftype plugin but rather some other way using the swiftype's website? Could you explain that and how to do it?

ellenmva

Here is the information on their site for the WordPress Plugin. You probably want to watch the tutorial for more detailed directions on setting up the plugin.  You can always follow their tutorial and see if you get the results you want, I may be just complicating the issue.

If you want to set up the search engine first follow steps 1 and 2 in this documentation, then install the WordPress Plugin, put in your Swiftype API and then it will want to setup a search engine for you, don't....click where it says Advanced: Use existing search engine and fill in the details.

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

www.elsue.com www.betterdms.com

hireconrad

you can mark this resolved, as I've decided to remove the search function off my site.