maxpower1

Pageless Causing Slow Load Times...

maxpower1

Hi,

Website >>>  http://visiblechanges.com

Performace >>>  http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/s7BLy3tnN/http://visiblechanges.com 

Pageless requires nearly 2 seconds to load?  Why is this and how can it be improved?

W3 Total Cache Enabled - CSS and JS minification enabled.

define( 'LESS_FILE_MODE', true ); added to wp-config.php

CSS minification NOT selected in site options, this increased load time of pageless to 7 seconds!!!

Any help, much appreciated.

Thanks.

Simon

LESS_FILE_MODE makes some checks before it allows static file based caching, but it looks like your on a windows server which is exactly the reasons we deployed those checks as windows has some really freaky file permissions.

Im afraid without hacking the render.css file it wont work.

Why did you choose a windows server?

maxpower1

Client request.  They will eventually manage it.  More comfortable for them I suppose.

Can the checks and file permissions effect performance also.  We are experiencing some very high CPU usage.  Site went down once already on Amazon EC2 small instance.

Hack render.css?

Simon

Oh forgot the filter lol

add_filter( 'render_css_posix_', '__return_true' );

Add to child functions, forces posix check to pass even on windows.

maxpower1

Is pagelines more stable on linux?  Would this be a better option if we can convince client?

Simon

Well PageLines is a framework that runs on top of WordPress. So really you should be asking the wordpress people that have stats for like 1.5 million installs. The framework isnt unstable on any platform, if wordpress works so does it. The problem with windows and PHP is the file permissions and weird folder setups. Windows is not a server platform in my opinion.

But if your client insists on windows, then what can we do? ;)

Did you test the file i linked, and the filter?

maxpower1

This issue is still not resolved for us.  Pageless loading very slowly even with filters added.  Any other suggestions?

Rob

Hi,

You mentioned a heavy CPU usage.  It's possible you are being struck, as millions of other sites these days, with repeated DoS attacks (Denial of Service).  Windows is particularly vulnerable to these, lacking the security protections of Linux.

While Simon's comments are absolutely true about Wordpress and PageLines Framework, his reply didn't address the myriad of security issues. You may want to alert your client to this, as it could easily result in frequent site outages or actual hacks of your site's content or design.  My own site, on a dedicated Linux server has been experiencing an average of 60 DoS efforts daily for the past four months.  Every day I thank my lucky stars that there are security protections in Linux.

Simon's comments about folders and permissions, I must say from personal experience, are spot-on.

I hope this helps you.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

maxpower1

DoS attacks are not causing the slow load times of pageless compiled css.  It has now become a real issue for client.  Last test = 3.6 seconds.

Is there a way to disable it?

Thanks.

Simon

Is this the same site as before on a windows server?

Rob

Uniquely, for some strange reason, your site is pulling two, distinct URLs which should be handled by canonical settings in Linux cPanel.

The slowness is singularly found in the load of the second domain. See the attached image below.

post-6-0-25338400-1363446907_thumb.jpg

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur