Sign in to follow this  
shanlarter

Blog Page-setup for multiple nav bar buttons

shanlarter

Hi can someone help me? I want my nav bar, to have more than just ONE page that uses the BLOG TEMPLATE style... you know the one with the 'excerpts' of each of the posts, all with linkable titles. like on this page: http://shanlarter.com/shans-blog/ Except I want MORE nav bar buttons to display this 'exerpt' style page on them... how do i do this?

cmunns

So the blog template is the "default template" and is being used by your home page currently. There is only one page that will show ALL blog posts, HOWEVER, you want multiple pages to have this style. The way that you do this is by using categories with your blog posts. SO some of your post will have "ED" and some will have "blog" as a category. Then for those two menu items you need to create a menu item in APPEARANCE > MENUS that link to those categories instead of actual pages as you have them now? Does that make sense.

shanlarter

So if i follow these instructions... then ALL of my blog posts will appear under BLOG in chronological order (newest on top) AND the CATEGORIES that I SPECIFY for each post CAN ALSO appear on the Nav bar for the ones that I add under APPEARANCE>MENUS. Am i getting this? I am trying to do it as you listed, but I am not quite getting it to happen properly... so just want to make sure that I am understanding what you are saying :) THANKS!

shanlarter

OKAY! I got all the categories in the nav bar... now to try and see if the 'excerpt' style will happen on each NAV PAGE (ie. multiple posts in each category show as exerpts). stand by! :)

shanlarter

OKAY SO WE ARE SOOOOO CLOSE. STILL NOT QUITE RIGHT THOUGH :( The 'excerpts' on the NAV BAR Categories are not showing the PICTURE in the excerpts box... like they do on the main blog post page. The settings are the same, but it is not showing up... ideas?!?

cmunns

Yes, likely the code has to be modified to display it exactly as the main blog page. In _posts.php template file under APPEARANCE > EDITOR change this line : `<?php if(pl_show_thumb($post->ID)): ?>` to this: `<?php if(pl_show_thumb($post->ID) || is_category()): ?>` That should do it!