theresacs

Sidebar Not Displaying Properly In Explorer

theresacs    0
theresacs

For some reason, the columns for my site, Island Vittles are not displaying properly in Explorer.

The main content column is taking up the whole screen, and my righthand sidebar is being pushed to the bottom of the page.

This is not a problem in Firefox or Safari.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

Many thanks.

Theresa

catrina    103
catrina

Please make sure you're using the latest version of Internet Explorer and post screenshots of your site here (I don't have IE so I can't check it out).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

theresacs    0
theresacs

Thank you Catrina! I am using the most recent version of Explorer, here are the screenshots from IslandVittles.com

YskYW.jpg

ccGMN.jpg

James B    436
James B

Hi there, first if you have any third party plugins please disable them and see if the layout resolves, just in case there's a plugin conflict.

Have you added any css or custom code to the sidebar or content area at all?

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

theresacs    0
theresacs

James! Thank you for your help...I have disabled all plugins, but this did not resolve the issue.

I have not added css or custom code to either the side bar or content area.

any thoughts are much appreciated! Thank you!

theresa

James B    436
James B

I've just got another member of staff who has IE to test in IE9 and it's displaying ok in there. Do you have compatibility mode on at all? Can you confirm exactly which version of IE you're on for us.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

theresacs    0
theresacs

I am using Explorer 9 and I do not have compatibility mode on. I just checked the display here, and the sidebar is still getting pushed down to the bottom.

Thank you,

Theresa

catrina    103
catrina

Please try turning compatibility mode on (if you haven't done so already). Also, are you using any custom CSS?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

theresacs    0
theresacs

I'll try turning it on right now...no custom CSS.

thank you!

theresacs    0
theresacs

Compatibility mode is now turned on -- it doesn't look like it's fixed the problem though.

James B    436
James B

Hi there, I'm not sure what's causing this, i can only assume that some padding it being added somewhere which is causing the sidebar to stack in IE. Could you try adding the following code into Pagelines>Site Options>Custom code. Let us know if this moves the sidebar up in the correct space.

#sidebar1 {

width: 95%;

}

James B

theresacs    0
theresacs

Thank you, James.

I pasted the code into the Custom code box below the line with the body {} - I`m afraid that didn`t work either.

theresa

Rob    547
Rob

Theresa,

I can see the site fine in IE9. Looking at the screenshot you provided, I'm compelled to concur that your site does have a problem, but I'm going to have to presume that it's a setup issue or a conflict.

When sidebars appear below a certain point, it usually means that there's a configuration, layout or setup error somewhere. Since this seems to be browser specific (which I can't see), I don't quite know where to look for it. Often, it might be that the Content section is missing in the Page Templates, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Is WordPress updated to 3.4.2? Is PL at the latest version (2.3.5)?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

theresacs    0
theresacs

Hi Rob,

Wordpress is 3.4.2 and PL is the latest version too. I appreciate your input here.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi Theresa,

I already informed you last week in Live chat, what is causing your issue.

The Sidebar is most likely being pushed below your content due to incorrect HTML, which you have added to your posts.

To make sure this is not the case, please create a test post, that contains only text no HTML, no images but text only. Once this post has been created, view the post in IE and see if the sidebar has been pushed underneath the content area. If the sidebar is below the content area, then disable all active plugins, remove any custom CSS or custom scripts and then view the post again.

If you still have an issue, we can investigate further.

Please search our forums, before posting!

theresacs    0
theresacs

Danny,

I created a test post just as you described after our Live Chat conversation, and found that the lack of html in a post it did not fix the problem, so I came in here to request help.

To demonstrate this to you, I have created another test post, disabled all plugins and removed all custom CSS -- screenshots below.

The sidebar is still below the content area. I would appreciate any further suggestions.

theresa

fPd3y.jpg?1

TiToQ.jpg?1

Simon    247
Simon

Turn off IE compatibility mode.

theresacs    0
theresacs

IE compatibility mode has been turned on and off, with no change to the display.

theresa

Simon    247
Simon

can u post a screenshot with it turned off?

theresacs    0
theresacs

Simon,

Those most recent screen shots are with IE Compatibility turned off...shall I post screen shots with it turned back on?

Theresa

Simon    247
Simon

The screenshots both have it on, see the little broken page icon to to right if the address bar?

theresacs    0
theresacs

I have just confirmed that the "Include Google IE Compatibility Script" box in (Pagelines - Site Options - Advanced) is not checked. Here's a new screenshot taken right after I confirmed that:

L6DUU.jpg

Here is the screenshot of my Dashboard, showing that the Compatibility script is not checked:

XYIPX.jpg?1

theresacs    0
theresacs

Wow! Simon, that worked! Thank you!

Will the viewers of my page all have to click on the broken page icon in order for it to display on their computers properly? I ask because I also checked it on my laptop, and the display was correct only after I clicked on the same broken icon.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Theresa

Simon    247
Simon

Well, its off by default...