Sign in to follow this  
robbingheeslingyahoocom

Disabling link for main menu

robbingheeslingyahoocom

Hello! I would like to disable the link in the parent menu but leave the child pages underneath. Meaning, I don't want there to access to that page, but really just a header to the child pages below. I hope that makes sense! Anyway to go about this? WHP 2 WP 3 Thanks!

bryan-hadaway

Okay, what you'll need to do is in: Appearance > Menus Remove the current parent tabs that have children and then manually add them back in making the link/URL # - just the pound/hash symbol. Thanks, Bryan

robbingheeslingyahoocom

"The current theme does not natively support menus, but you can use the ???Custom Menu??? widget to add any menus you create here to the theme??™s sidebar."

bryan-hadaway

Yes, that would be: Appearance > Menus Thanks, Bryan

robbingheeslingyahoocom

But everything is greyout and I get that statement above.

robbingheeslingyahoocom

A ha! Sorry...new to this part! So I created a custom menu and have absolutely no clue what to do from there. :-/

bryan-hadaway

Hmm, I suspect you're not using WordPress 3.0+ If you're up for it, it might be time to undergo some upgrading. - I highly recommend backing everything up, files and database - Rename your old theme folder to whatever and install the new one - Then in your admin at the top there will be a link to automatically upgrade WordPress Then you'll have the features you need and of course all the other benefits of staying up-to-date. Thanks, Bryan

robbingheeslingyahoocom

I gave my software notes in the first post. I upgraded my Wordpress yesterday. This is a new feature of 3.0 yes? I don't think I understand how this feature works. Any resources for that? Do I have to completely rebuild the menu's the theme automatically created just so I can prevent people from clicking on 2 links directly?

bryan-hadaway

Okay, I have an alternative trick for you. Go to: Plugins > Add New > and then search, install and activate the plugin Redirection. You'll then find it's settings under: Tools > Redirection > Then set those 2 pages to redirect to the first sub pages :). Thanks, Bryan

robbingheeslingyahoocom

I'll give that a try! Or I could just come up with something to fill in the darn page. :-D

cmunns

The new menus are actually quite fast and very flexible although it would seem initially that it's a pain to re-create the menu. Generally speaking plug-ins I don't think are the best way to go because they can cause conflicts If that plug-in doesn't work out let us know.

robbingheeslingyahoocom

@Adam What do you think about the Appearance-> Menu option though? Am I completely reconstructing my menus there? I don't know what I have time for, menu hacking or just making some kind of landing content that says "click up there instead" :-(

cmunns

Yes you are reconstructing your menu there, and when you do you can assign classes to each item. For those top level items create a css class and call it something like no-click. Then for in your custom css section create `#nav ul.dropdown li.no-click > a:hover {cursor:default !important;}` This will make it not look like a link. It will however still link if clicked. SO you can actually create a custom nav item with the same name but with no link ( # ) then nest the sub items accordingly. Does that make sense, it's a lot to take in?

robbingheeslingyahoocom

I'm just casually reading this and unable to actually attack the issue at this moment but yes, seems a little complex. :-) Is there a moron's guide to this new part of WP somewhere? Just glancing at that section...it is not intuitive at all!

robbingheeslingyahoocom

Just a reminder I am on WP 3 but on WhiteHouse Pro 2. I haven't seen any real need to jump up to 3 yet.

cmunns

whoops, well that changes things quite a bit. WHP2 doesn't have support for the menus in WP3.0 and thus I can see how this was get confusing for both us trying to figure out what the other is saying. (although I see now you did mention WHP2 at the top of the post, duh) Regarding the new features of WP it's not very well documented, which is frustrating. Getting updated for menu support isn't that difficult either, but does of course require updating your code a bit and we can help if you if need it otherwise lets find another solution for you.

cmunns

Since your using WHP2 I would go with a plug-in, maybe Page Links Plus?