ilkka

Css / Less Error

ilkka    0
ilkka

Hi,

Today i got this error on my site (sometek.fi):

PageLines Custom LESS/CSS error.

parse error: failed at `font-family: \"Shadows Into Light\",Arial,sans-serif; text-align: center; line-height: 1.2em; font-style: normal; padding-left: 20px; padding-right: 20px; } ` line: 1011

My site has been working fine until today. I updated it from 2.3.2 to 2.3.4 and got this error. I don't understand what does this error refer to (there is no line 1011 in custom css). Please help me fix it!

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

A Parse error, usually means that you have an error in your custom CSS. Therefore, please review your custom CSS for any errors. LESS CSS is not as forgiving as standard CSS for errors in the code.

In the Error you posted above, I notice that you have this:

font-family: \"Shadows Into Light\",Arial,sans-serif; 
It should look like this, have you added this manually ?
font-family: 'Shadows Into Light', cursive;[/code]

Please search our forums, before posting!

Simon    247
Simon

2.3.5 fixed this

ilkka    0
ilkka

Updated to 2.3.5 - Fixed!

Another problem also appeared at the same time with 2.3.4 update (2.3.5 didn't help this!): my RSS feed doesn't update anymore. The latest blog post is not included and if I try to add new posts, they won't update to the feed!

http://www.sometek.fi/blogi

http://www.sometek.fi/feed

Any ideas? I can see the result of this on my site traffic...

ilkka    0
ilkka

Hi,

Yes but the newest post is not incuded in the feed: http://sometek.fi/al...ytaa-googlesta/

I have also tried to publish test posts after this one but none of them show up in the feed!

Tested: Firefox (latest), Google Reader, Chrome.

Simon    247
Simon

Oh how we LOVE caching plugins on these forums!!

If you veiw-source that feed pag, and look at the bottom you will se this:

<!-- Dynamic page generated in 1.630 seconds. -->
<!-- Cached page generated by WP-Super-Cache on 2012-10-12 20:46:28 -->
[/CODE]

• Like 1

ilkka    0
ilkka

Hi there,

I see, thanks for the tip! :) I disabled wp-super Cache but my rss feed stiil won't update. Tried to publish new posts - no luck!

Simon    247
Simon

Delete the cache folder

• Like 1

ilkka    0
ilkka

Great,

My RSS feed is alive again, so grateful! :) :) :)

deleted the cache and removed traces of supercache from wp-config.php

By the way, are there any cache plugins, known to be working fine with pagelines? It is pretty useful feature...

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

Unless you have 100000000 visitors, there really isn't a need for cache plugins. If you have a decent web host provider who knows how to setup their servers correctly, you should be fine without any installed.

Although, PageLines does work with WP-Super-Cache and W3 Total Cache and any other cache plugin. One of the main issues with people using cache plugins, is that they think that they simply install the plugin and it works out of the box and also have no idea, how to configure the plugin correctly for their server environment.

Another thing is that 99% of users, enable the cache plugin whilst their site design is still ongoing. You should only enable/install a cache plugin, when you sites design as been finalised. Following this simple rule, which is in all the cache plugins read me files, will stop so many users getting errors.

• Like 1

Danny    1,327
Danny

The topic was marked as resolved.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• atcdomainsolutions
      By atcdomainsolutions+
      I have been building a site for a couple of weeks.  We are near the end and when I wake up today, none of my CSS is taking effect like it has been all this time.  I have not added any new plugins that haven't been there since day 1 and the one plugin that had an update yesterday, I disabled thinking that was the culprit (was a social plugin) but no.  I have checked my Text Boxes and areas where I have custom classes that connect to the CSS in the Less box and they are all still there but it's truly just all of a sudden, NONE of my Custom CSS is having any effect.  

I even (few min ago) deactivated ALL plugins and it's still not reading my CSS.  Need help here since today was the day I was going to turn the site over to the client.  Have never had this happen.

Can supply domain and sign in details once a moderator responds.

Thanks.

James
    • atcdomainsolutions
      By atcdomainsolutions+
      Just an FYI.  I was having issues with the CSS Less box and items disappearing or appearing very light gray and blocked out from me accessing. 

Found out for sure that if you install or have the "Shortcodes Ultimate" plugin installed (version 3.9.5 is what I was using) or install it after starting a new site, it will cause the CSS Less box to crash. Started with this plugin when debugging and after deactivating and going back in, CSS Less was fine.

Hope this helps someone who may have experienced the same issue.

James
    • atcdomainsolutions
      By atcdomainsolutions+
      I have noticed on a site of mine that I'm redesigning with DMS that certain changes I make with CSS Less don't save...mainly:

1.  Changes to text and appearance in the Hero boxes and

2.  Changes to the Masthead box.

I added code to remove the built in opacity of the text of the sub text since it always looked pretty "greyish".  I view it after adding and it work and I see it but when I save, re-save template, it stays for a bit and then disappears back to the old defaults.

I have even added #page (and tried #site) at the beginning of the code but the changes I make disappear EVEN THOUGH the custom code is still there in my CSS Less area.

Anyone else have this problem?

James
    • atcdomainsolutions
      By atcdomainsolutions+
      I worked on a DMS template/design on one of my websites while testing things out. After I got things like I really wanted, I performed the export function and downloaded my templates, files, configurations, etc.  I selected all options to export (Global Settings, Post Types, etc).

I then went into another website I have, installed DMS, activated (Developer account) and got the usual welcome, etc.etc.

I then went, uploaded my exported configurations and everything appeared to copy over after loading the main template I was wanting to see.  Some images aren't showing up but that's no biggie.

My problem is that I had about 8-10 blocks of custom css code I added to the original design and this does not show on the Custom Less/Css area so I went to just copy it over from the other site into the block area for Custom Less/CSS but the field is not active on the new site.  I can click on "Custom Scripts" and that is active and will allow me to add data but the Custom Less/CSS field is not "active" and I can't click inside or add anything.

Did I do something wrong?
    • janpeeters
      By janpeeters+
      Over the last month I had extensive communications with the developer of the (premium) Anything Boxes section (in Pagelines store) (Adam Munns) and the developer of the WP Polylang Multilingual plugin (Frederic Demarle).

This was because the following problem occurred:
      Anything Boxes showed all posts of two languages (Dutch and English) on the respective static frontpages for each language. It should of course have filtered posts for Dutch language on the Dutch frontpage and English on the English frontpage.

The solution to this problem was simple in the end. When duplicating a page for use in another language the settings for Anything Boxes were not copied to the new page and I should have set these settings manually again on the new page. I wasn't aware of this, but it makes sense. Because of this the pages didn't know how to differentiate between posts from different languages.

The dev of Polylang told me that Polylang is currently smart enough to synchronize metas like Featured images and page templates but it does not work out of the box with metas created by plugins and themes but (according to Frederic) it is rather easy to add them in the list using the filter 'pll_copy_post_metas'.
      He mentions that he is not sure that these 'PageLines Meta Settings' are stored in post meta but that would make sense according to him. He asks if the Pagelines dev team will be interested to support this feature in the future.

I'm also wondering if you will consider adding Polylang translation support for manually editable strings like the 'Read more…' strings in Pagelines Settings.

Well that's of course up to you but I thought to let you know to be able to take this into consideration. I also post this for other users in case they experience the same kind of trouble and are looking for an answer.

Best regards,
      Jan Peeters