pehja

Mamp And Local Server

pehja+    12
pehja

Hi!

This has nothing to do with PageLines. BUT since I am a valued customer and there are many developers in this forum, some might want to help out.

I am using MAMP to build sites locally. I am having issues with having to put in ftp username in order to insert plug and installing PageLine sections. At one point I was abel to grant permissions in MAMP. But Now I have started a new site and this doesn¨t work. This is really starting to annoy me. I have looked in MAMP forums and WP forums and there is nowhere an answer to be found. surly I am not the only one using MAMP locally to build sites.

So does anyone know how it´s done?

I really would appreciate any help regarding this.

Professionell musician | Webbdesigner | Apple freak

Pehja Production.png

pehja+    12
pehja

Hi Danny! Yes I have i have transfered many sites with success. But this time I am not able to make the changes I want. I noticed that

PhpMyAdmin is version 5.2.17 and not the latest. Is that causing the problem ??

Pehja Production.png

Danny    1,327
Danny

No idea Peter, I haven't encounter this type of error before and I have about 2000 sites running on MAMP.

I think the best course is action to be patient and wait for a reply from either MAMP support or Wordpress.

You could try changing your permissions to usename, as well as creating a new site under my MAMP and see if you encounter the same error.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Martin Bay    20
Martin Bay

Seems I have some similar problems. I cannot login in to my pagelines account on local sites running MAMP. Also the Pagelines admin interface started to look weird eg. if I go into Site Options it will show all the different sections on one page! Also will not change theme properly.

Simon    247
Simon

Martin that just a plugin conflict causing javascript eror.

MAMP needs to run under your username NOT apache/mysql

• Like 1

Martin Bay    20
Martin Bay

Thanks @Simon_P I know its beyond the scope of support here but do you have a pointer onto do that?

Simon    247
Simon

To do what? Disable plugins to find the one causing your issues? Or fix Pehja's file permissions?

pehja+    12
pehja

Strange!! I wander what i am doing wrong here. Perhaps remove MAMP Pro and install it again? If you don´t have the issue, then there must be something wrong at my and. Thanks any ways!

Pehja Production.png

Martin Bay    20
Martin Bay

@Simon_P You said: "MAMP needs to run under your username NOT apache/mysql" I just wonder how do do this?

pehja+    12
pehja

Thanks Simon!! That solved my problems!

Pehja Production.png

Simon    247
Simon

The topic was marked as resolved.

Martin Bay    20
Martin Bay

The topic was marked as resolved.

Yes it is :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• gabelloyd
      By gabelloyd
      I've Googled for the past hour on this, but I feel like this a really n00b question.  

Background: This is not my first website, but first Pagelines.
      Platform:  WP 3.8
      Theme:  DMS
      Pagelines:  free
      Local setup:  MAMP, php 5.5.3
      Process of "loading files" on my local environment:  Drag theme folders into the "wp-content/themes" folder.  (this is how I work locally without problem, usually)

Goal:  Install DMS Theme for a local working environment, add a child theme.

I've downloaded the installed the DMS theme (free).  At first, I just loaded this to an existing project.  When I did not see the DMS in the Appearance> Themes area, I thought "Well, maybe the existing installation is conflicting with it?".  

I loaded the site to a test server and I was able to load the theme using the "upload a .zip file" method (not loading the file using my FTP client directly into the themes folder).  This works.  Hm.

I decided that I should try installing the DMS locally on a fresh install of WP.  Installed on a new database, new theme folder, again the DMS theme is not recognized.  Hm.  So, I loaded the base child theme I found on Github:  https://github.com/bearded-avenger/nicks-base-theme by copying these files into my themes folder, and THAT showed up (but of course is saying that it's parent theme 'dms' is not found).  

I'm stumped.  Can I not drag theme folders into the 'wp-content/themes/' folder for local installation?  Did I miss something in the documentation about working locally?  

Thanks for your help!

• Olly
      By Olly
      I am running MAMP PRO for local development. After considerable headaches (see my other post!), I have setup a local development environment at a special local domain name: www.mysite-localdev.com:8888

The live site is located at www.mysite.com

My question is, how can I use the Pagelines store in my local environment? I obviosly don't want to activate the local devlopemnt site address (www.mysite-localdev.com:8888), only the live site address, but I can't use the live site locally. If I activate it, does that use up one of my six product activations? If so, how can I get access to the store when developing locally without activating?

Is the only way to do this, to use the same address for the local development site, as the live site (pushed local via the HOSTS file)?
    • Olly
      By Olly
      I appreciate this question is not specifically about Pagelines itself, but I could really use some help with this.

I have setup MAMP for doing Pagelines DMS local development on my MBPro running OSX Mavericks. However, when I come to try and install themes and plugins in the Wordpress back end it requests me for my FTP server information, saying: "To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host."

Can any one tell me how to set this up?

I tried following the instructions here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/29/start-an-ftp-or-sftp-server-in-mac-os-x-lion/

I entered my hostname as 'localhost' and the username/password as my local account username and password. It doesn't work -  just says "Unable to locate WordPress Root directory."

Is it possible to get this working, or does everything have to be done manually, by copying plugins etc. to the wp-content sub-folders.
    • Olly
      By Olly
      I am reaching out to the community to find out how people are building sites with Pagelines. I want to find out the best workflow for developing websites with the framework.

I have been a Wordpress user for years for my personal blog but have never really expanded beyond using other peoples themes, widgets and plugins, together with a tiny amount of very basic CSS tweaking to format them. That has really been the extent of my customization knowledge till now. (i.e. next to none).

I have now begun to change that, and stumbled across the Pagelines framework. I want to really start learning how to customize Wordpress at a more advanced level - i.e. theming etc.

In preparation, I have completed the Web Fundamentals course on Code Academy (see here: http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/web ) so now have a somewhat better understanding of CSS than I did before. (i.e. I now actually know the difference between DIV and SPAN!) At very least, I like to think that I now have a good understanding of the foundations, and should be able to easily learn more. 

What I want to know is:

What is your favorite way to customize Pagelines to look how you want? Child theme? How do you prototype your layout designs? Do you develop locally in MAMP? Or on the live server? How do you push to the live server? FTP? GIT? Something else? Do you use Git version control in your workflow? Beanstalk App? Dreamweaver? CSS Edit? Coda? Sublime Text 2? What tools do you use? What is your optimal development workflow? Why do you like Pagelines over a regular Wordpress theme? Pagelines documentation is pretty bad at explaining a good workflow! I want to know the best workflow for taking a barebones Pagelines install and customizing it to my liking, to the point that it is unrecognizable as the "default" pagelines theme!

Thanks in advance!
    • rjltaylor
      By rjltaylor
      Decided to jump on the bandwagon and give MAMP a try. I successfully created my PL site, imported my files and db to my host server using MAMP and Transmit.

However, local changes have since been made to the local files. I uploaded the wp-content and wp-includes using a ftp transfer via Transmit. I can see the updated files sitting on my server, however, they're not displaying on my live website. (Cache has been cleared).

Am I missing a step (or two or three) somewhere? Would really like to get the hang of this so I can actually start being productive instead of spinning my wheels. Ugh...

Thanks in advance for your patience...and support!