outtareach

What would be best way to alter header

outtareach    3
outtareach

My client wants me to make the header link in two places. So I need to add two divs in the header.What would be the best place to edit this? I see header.php but not sure if I need to put the in there or in another file. Any help would be appreciated.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

You shouldn't make any changes to header.php or any core files as odd things will most likely happen. If you wish to add another link to your header, you will most likely want to use a hook. I recommend you install the Action Map plugin from the store, find the correct hook location and then add your code to the functions.php file.

Please search our forums, before posting!

outtareach    3
outtareach

thanks for the helpful solution. Basically I have to take the header and make it link to two different areas. The logo linking to the homepage and the other half linking to a section of the site. So I guess I need to break the image in two and add the links but which way do you think would be an easier solution?

catrina    103
catrina

Breaking the image into two and adding links would be the best. You can't make one image link to two places unless you used an image map, which wouldn't be the easiest solution.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

outtareach    3
outtareach

Thanks but yeah I understood that part but was talking about the two solutions offered and which would offer best solution for adding both links.

outtareach    3
outtareach

It's also worth mentioning that you can customize core sections like the branding section (if that's what you're using in the header) by copying the specific section's folder from the Pagelines sections folder into your child theme's "sections" folder (just create one if there isn't a folder there yet). From there you are free to customize the section however you'd like without being at risk of losing your customizations next time the framework is updated. Kind of like child themes for sections. If you decide to go this route, I would recommed you disable the core's version of the section from under Pagelines > Store > Sections > Core Framework to prevent any possible conficts.

Depending on where you need to add the extra link, a hook may be a much quicker and easier solution, but I just thought I'd mention another way :)

I did this and it now functions perfectly. This was cool because it was my first time really customizing something and it wasnt hard at all. If I wanted to go simply with a hook where would this be initiated?

Rob    547
Rob

Into a functions.php located either in the child theme or in pagelines-customize/functions.php.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob    547
Rob

The topic was marked as resolved.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur