srivas

Framework with git version control

srivas    0
srivas

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a site hosted on a server that allows me to version control my wordpress install with git. I cloned my git repo from my web host using Tower and I managed to get my wordpress install working locally with MAMP. I'm able to add plugins, themes and make code changes to files and push those changes from my local installation to my live site with Tower and a git push command. The problem I'm having is that when I make changes to Framework like adding more columns to the footer, changing the Framework from blog layout to magazine layout, activating a plugin or moving widgets around, I can't seem to be able to push those changes to my live site. So I guess my question is, am I going to have to test changes that are not file or folder addition/deletion/changes in my local development to see if they work and then go to my live installation and redo all the work? Or is there something I'm missing that will allow me to push changes like changing the NavBar color from black to red in my local development to my live site? Any help with this will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Using:

OS X Mountain Lion

Wordpress 3.4.2

Pagelines Framework 2.3

MAMP 2.1.1

Tower 1.4.11

Simon    247
Simon

All the options are stored in the wordpress database, so pushing to remote will not sync the databases.

You may be beter off asking something like this on the wp.org forums or the wp-hackers mailing list as the answer will be the same for any theme.

All theme/plugin page/post in fact ALL settings are stored in the database.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• jinfinite8
      By jinfinite8+
      Hi, I'm a long time PageLines and DMS user. Trying out Platform 5 now.
      Does Platform 5 store data like DMS 2 as serialized data, or does it store data in a regular WordPress mysql table?
      Thanks very much.
      ~ julian
    • rsmm
      By rsmm
      Hi there, I've noticed that as soon as I enter my developer license into the Pagelines Updater plugin, it prevents the Github Updater plugin from noticing updates to plugins and themes. The Pagelines updater continues to work fine, regardless of whether Github Updater is activated or not.

I first noticed this issue about six months ago, and posted in the DMS Compatibility Checklist forum thread.

Is there anything you can do on your end to resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    • gabelloyd
      By gabelloyd
      I've Googled for the past hour on this, but I feel like this a really n00b question.  

Background: This is not my first website, but first Pagelines.
      Platform:  WP 3.8
      Theme:  DMS
      Pagelines:  free
      Local setup:  MAMP, php 5.5.3
      Process of "loading files" on my local environment:  Drag theme folders into the "wp-content/themes" folder.  (this is how I work locally without problem, usually)

Goal:  Install DMS Theme for a local working environment, add a child theme.

I've downloaded the installed the DMS theme (free).  At first, I just loaded this to an existing project.  When I did not see the DMS in the Appearance> Themes area, I thought "Well, maybe the existing installation is conflicting with it?".  

I loaded the site to a test server and I was able to load the theme using the "upload a .zip file" method (not loading the file using my FTP client directly into the themes folder).  This works.  Hm.

I decided that I should try installing the DMS locally on a fresh install of WP.  Installed on a new database, new theme folder, again the DMS theme is not recognized.  Hm.  So, I loaded the base child theme I found on Github:  https://github.com/bearded-avenger/nicks-base-theme by copying these files into my themes folder, and THAT showed up (but of course is saying that it's parent theme 'dms' is not found).  

I'm stumped.  Can I not drag theme folders into the 'wp-content/themes/' folder for local installation?  Did I miss something in the documentation about working locally?  

Thanks for your help!

• Olly
      By Olly
      I am running MAMP PRO for local development. After considerable headaches (see my other post!), I have setup a local development environment at a special local domain name: www.mysite-localdev.com:8888

The live site is located at www.mysite.com

My question is, how can I use the Pagelines store in my local environment? I obviosly don't want to activate the local devlopemnt site address (www.mysite-localdev.com:8888), only the live site address, but I can't use the live site locally. If I activate it, does that use up one of my six product activations? If so, how can I get access to the store when developing locally without activating?

Is the only way to do this, to use the same address for the local development site, as the live site (pushed local via the HOSTS file)?
    • Olly
      By Olly
      I appreciate this question is not specifically about Pagelines itself, but I could really use some help with this.

I have setup MAMP for doing Pagelines DMS local development on my MBPro running OSX Mavericks. However, when I come to try and install themes and plugins in the Wordpress back end it requests me for my FTP server information, saying: "To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not remember your credentials, you should contact your web host."

Can any one tell me how to set this up?

I tried following the instructions here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/29/start-an-ftp-or-sftp-server-in-mac-os-x-lion/

I entered my hostname as 'localhost' and the username/password as my local account username and password. It doesn't work -  just says "Unable to locate WordPress Root directory."

Is it possible to get this working, or does everything have to be done manually, by copying plugins etc. to the wp-content sub-folders.