grintstick

Transferring site from MAMP local to live

grintstick    0
grintstick

Hi - I'm trying to transfer my site from working on it locally using MAMP to the live site. When I do this, following correct instructions (I think), the result is as you see it on www.minidynasty.com As you can see the site has not transferred properly - the site is fully working with images and so on on the MAMP site.

Are there extra things I need to do when transferring? Do I have to do anything with image tags and so on? Help much appreciated. Adam.

batman    389
batman

Hi Adam

Your images are at folder

"YOUR SITE" / wp-contents/ uploads / 2012 / 09 (if you upload this month or 08 / 07 according the month)

You can try transfer it via FTP

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

catrina    103
catrina

batman is right. If the images are in the wrong directories (in this case, the wrong subdirectories because of the upload times), they're not going to work on the site.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

grintstick    0
grintstick

Hi - thanks for the responses. Sorry for being slow here but if they are in the wrong directories due to the date problem, what would the correct directory be? Should I just take them out of the date directory entirely, or create a new directory? thanks...

Simon    247
Simon

They are not in the wrong DIRs te links to them are wrong, click the link i posted above you will see your site url is in there twice.

Did you use some kind of database replacement tool?

grintstick    0
grintstick

Hi Simon - thanks for your response. So should I change this in the settings within wordpress for each image? What should the correct URL's be? Perhaps you could point me towards some documentation on it if it exists? thanks...

Simon    247
Simon

How did the images get the new urls?

grintstick    0
grintstick

I see what you mean with the doubled up URL's. Not entirely sure how that's happened...

I followed this for transferring from MAMP:

http://www.slideshare.net/Miriam6142/from-local-to-live-exporting-wordpress-from-mamp

and also watched this:

and looked at the wordpress codex. What do you think is the way forward? thanks...

Simon    247
Simon

Yea looks like you messed up the url replacement part, so 2 choices, repair each one, or start again ;)

grintstick    0
grintstick

p.s. i think the images got the new URL's possibly by me using the find and replace tool in a text editor after I exported the SQL database from my offline site. So I changed the localhost URL's to the live ones using this tool... maybe it happened there... although I just looked at the SQL file and there's no doubling up in it. hmmmmm....

grintstick    0
grintstick

ok thanks... although it seems odd that the doubling up is not happening in my SQL file which is where I do the URL replace, so if I do it again I think the file will remain the same... but I still get doubled up URL's on the images. Do you think it could be coming from somewhere else other than the SQL file?

Simon    247
Simon

Marking this resolved for moderation purposes....

Basically your going to have to run the replace in the SQL again to fix those urls.

Simon    247
Simon

The topic was marked as resolved.

grintstick    0
grintstick

Simon -

I've managed to re-do the SQL file and am now at least getting some of the images coming up correctly. However, the formatting is all over the place and each page seems to be displaying elements that were hidden in my offline version. Various style things have not come across at all, like the colour of the background, fonts and so on, so just wonder how to fix this? URL is minidynasty.com.

Help appreciated...

Adam.

Simon    247
Simon

Are you editing the SQL file before you import it?

grintstick    0
grintstick

Yes, I'm changing the URL's from my localhost to my live URL, but that's it.

Simon    247
Simon

Right well, that url will be stored in serialized data, are you taking that into account?

You cannot edit serialized data, it breaks it.

for example, it might show it as:

s:17:"http://banana.com";
[/CODE] then you change banana for apple
[CODE]
s:17:"http://apple.com";

PHP will now load that value as NULL because the string length is wrong!, should be 17 chars, see? You cant just edit serialized data.

grintstick    0
grintstick

ok understood... but in that case how do I change the URL's in the SQL file to reflect my live domain. Looking at lots of tutorials this is exactly what it tells me to do. Any ideas how to get round this?

Simon    247
Simon

You have 2 choices, use MAMP with virtual hosts, and then the urls will all be the same, locally and remote or import your SQL into remote then use a search and replace plugin to unserialize, edit then reserialize the data.

grintstick    0
grintstick

Ah! A breakthrough! Yes the problem was because I was using a simple text editor to find and replace the local URL's with the live URL's. I ended up using the php script by Interconnectit.com

http://interconnectit.com/719/migrating-a-wordpresswpmubuddypress-website/

Blimey - someone should write a script which makes this thing a whole lot more user friendly - if Pagelines is supposed to be that they should put some time into writing a script that takes your site from local to live. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help - much appreciated.

Adam.

Rob    547
Rob

Simon's solution is the best.

I'm marking this Resolved for moderation purposes.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob    547
Rob

The topic was marked as resolved.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

grintstick    0
grintstick

Sorry this isn't quite resolved. It seems that changing the URL's in the SQL file is a bit of an inexact science when dealing with serialised strings. Using the interconnectit.com plugin, it worked once, but then failed to work again when I updated the site. I have re-exported the SQL file, reloaded all the WP content files several times over, tried Peach as well for another find and replace tools. The closest I have got is the full site but with missing widgets and broken links to pages. At the moment, I've just got a Pagelines logo. Check the URL and you'll see.

It seems something to do with the SQL DB but every route I try results in a broken site, each in a different way.

Any ideas?

Adam.

Simon    247
Simon

The only way that really only works is MAMP and virtual hosts. Thats how I do it, Ive moved pagelines.com 3 times with that method ;)