greenfly

Drop shadow on the footer as well as on page canvas using CSS

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hi all..

On a site i am putting together the page canvas has the drop shadow that goes around the page and down to the footer and then stops. i have added a colour to the footer and i intend to change this eventually to a background image. Im confident in changing it to a background image using CSS so im ok with that, however when i try to add the drop shadow to the footer i cant seem to get it to work. Looks more complicated than i at first thought.

The page canvas uses the followng CSS to generate the shadow (i think)

.content-shadow.fixed_width .page-canvas {

-webkit-box-shadow:rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8) 0 1px 5px;

box-shadow:rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8) 0 1px 6px;

}

so i have added the following to the Custom Code

.content-shadow.fixed_width #sb_footcols .content  {

-webkit-box-shadow:rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8) 0 1px 5px;

box-shadow:rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8) 0 1px 5px;
i have tried other variations of this i.e. changing the
#sb_footcols .content

to

.footer

and some other variations have also been tried.

anyone any ideas what it is i am doing wrong?

thanks in adavnce!

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

greenfly    230
greenfly

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

James B    436
James B

Hi there, try this

.fixed_width #footer {

box-shadow: 0 1px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);

}

• Like 1

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hi there, try this

.fixed_width #footer {

box-shadow: 0 1px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);

}

Hi James - this didn't work - thanks though

Jenny    33
Jenny

You're using the wrong CSS selector. You don't need to use the ".content-shadow.fixed_width" as that applies to the original selector only. You only need to use the footer and apply the CSS to that, like:

.fixed_width #footer {

box-shadow: 0 5px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);

-webkit-box-shadow:rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8) 0 5px 5px;

}

• Like 1

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

James B    436
James B

Hi Greenfly, let us know if Jennys suggestion worked for you :)

• Like 1

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hi Jenny, Thanks for your help - i tried the following

.fixed_width #footer {

box-shadow: 0 5px 5px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);

-webkit-box-shadow:rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8) 0 5px 5px;

}

But it didn't seem to work.

greenfly    230
greenfly

i have tried a variety of selectors in various orders but none of them seem to work. I shall try again tomorrow and update the thread.. -_-

James B    436
James B

Hi Greenfly

Could you backtrack through your custom css for me and couple check everything. Make sure there's no ; or } missing.

I think there must be something else in the code above which isn't complete and therefore stopping anything else below it from working.

• Like 1

James B

greenfly    230
greenfly

Of course. I'm seeing through the screen now as tires so will check first thing (uk Time)

thanks - i will let you know.

greenfly    230
greenfly

Great stuff, that does work. Thanks very much

Danny    1,327
Danny

Coolio!

The topic was marked as resolved.

• Like 1

Please search our forums, before posting!