Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Resolved Page Template Sidebar Control

7 posts in this topic

Hey Pageliners,

We're relatively new to the Pagelines platform and gotta say, firstly, that we love it. It's reduced our production time dramatically and is money well spent - so thank you.

Secondly, I personally am trying to wrap my head around the best way to implement many sidebars that are needed variably across many pages for our clients. The keyword here is that it needs to remain easy for management by the client in the future (our clients are not very technically savvy at times, so things like widget logic aren't always the best solution).

Here's our scenario, I hope that you may have some "best practices" or general better insight than I do ;)

- We have 3 different template structures:

1. internal pages (general template)
  2. home page (template 1)
  3. blog section

We have approximately 5 different types of widgets that should show in different ways based on the page / section.

• contact cta (all pages except home page)
  • newsletter signup (all pages except home page)
  • upcoming events (blog / home page)
  • latest blog posts (blog / home page)
  • blog categories (blog)

Now, we can manage this well enough (so it seems) using the universal sidebar (contact sidebar & newsletter signup), primary sidebar (latest posts, blog categories, upcoming events). However, without the ability to set sidebar control options (aka - setting universal sidebar in the sidebar for default page template, as compared to loading all of them due to the needs of the blog), we are finding the control of the sidebars on a template basis to be bulky.

Does this make sense?

Basically, to try and be more clear if I haven't already, we are looking for per-template sidebar control options (so you select "default template" and you can click on "page templates" > "sb1" and set the sidebars just for that template). Currently, you can only do that with the "content" area, not the sidebars.

So, do you have any good workarounds and better management options that could be defaulted to within Pagelines? Should we just resort to advanced widget management plugins? Is this something that you or others could see value for having in Pagelines in the future?

IDK, just spitballing here ;)

We don't currently have the per-template sidebar control that you've described (this would be most ideal because it would be the easiest solution and I think it would have a lot of value). You may need to resort to advanced widget management plugins (the next best thing would be some customizations done in the layout, but that will be too complicated).

Catrina's correct.

However, you can go to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Templates > Blog Page (for example) and select the column layout (one, two, etc) and save your settings.

The sidebar content can be determined by Widget Logic plugin

That will permit you to apply widgets (sidebar content) to particular places such as categories, pages, etc. so that you can have different sidebar content in different 'templates'.

Hey catrina & rob,

Thanks for the follow up, that's what I suspected, but just wanted to confirm.

Unfortunately, Widget Logic isn't easy enough for most of our clients (though it's a great solution) and so we are going to be using other similar plugins...

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to request this as a feature - giving sidebars the ability to be modified on a per-template basis. If it's already been requested, then please mark me down as a vote for it :)

Thanks again!

Hi Kyle,

I've passed your request on to our developer team as per your request :)

The topic was marked as resolved.

Hello all - I too have the same request. Each 'page' has children and therefore different topics. Ideally I would like to place different sidebar content on each page. I have not found a plugin to do this, have you "regalcreative"? or Pagelines - can you suggest a plugin that is easier than widget logic? many thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• register_sidebar warning messages when upgrade to WP 4.3
      By jeomiland+
      Have an old frameworks site client is not ready to update to DMS:  Have the most recent version of Frameworks installed.
      Just updated plugins all was fine. Updated Wordpress core from 4.1.7 to 4.3 and got a bunch of notice errors messages - specifically 10 notices that the sidebars were not being registered properly in functions.php as they require an ID, so default IDs were being used. Here are the warnings:
      Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "Primary Sidebar" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-1". Manually set the id to "sidebar-1" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/leavens/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3622

(also for Secondary, Tertiary, Universal, Full Width, Content, Footer Columns, MoreFoot Left/Middle/Right)
      After some investigation, I found had define('WP_DEBUG', true); in wp-config.php so set that to false to get rid of the messages, but is this a bug that should be addressed? Have not checked each and every page of side to make sure all is functioning, but thought his was a serious enough issue to bring it to the communitiy's attention.
      Kindly advise...
    • Modal Popup Works, But Section Not Visible In DMS Editor
      By Claude203
      Hi, the Modal Popup is working fine. But whenever I look on the DMS Editor, that section is gone. It was placed at the bottom of the Footer. The first time it happened, I thought maybe I had inadvertently deleted it, or not saved properly. So I re-created another one. And so on. Then I finally realized it was working after all. But now I'm wondering if there are several of my popups in place, all of them the same, yet none of them visible, but yet all of them working. I've tried adjusting/saving into a new page template. I've tried turning on/off the DMS Editor. Still can't find a trace of the Modal Popup section, yet I know it works because I used Safari and Firefox to confirm, even on a different computer. Thanks for any help/insight you might provide.
    • I Little Widgetizer & Sidebar Help... Please!
      By interactivelimited+
      I am a bit confused by the following situation:
      I have WPMU DEV's Custom Sidebar Plugin installed, with a few sidebars created, "Sidebar 1", "Sidebar 2", "Sidebar 3", etc.
      I have a Page Template, let's call it "Page With Sidebar".
      Within the "Page With Sidebar" template, I have a Widgetizer box, with a Default Sidebar as "Sidebar 1".
      Everything works up until this point.
      Now, I create a new Page.
      From the Edit Page screen, I select DMS Page Setup ->  Load PageLines Template -> "Page With Sidebar".
      I scroll a little further down the screen to the Sidebar Menu, that states:
      "Here you can replace the default sidebars. Simply select what sidebar you want to show for this post!"
      And, I select "Sidebar 2", publish the page, and go to view it to see - "Sidebar 1" on the page.
      What am I missing?
    • Creating a page template without cloning the whole page
      By BentleyD
      Hey Guys,
      I'm working on right now. There will be 100 different pages for 100 different yoga poses. Each page will have the exact same design, but different pictures and text. Is there a way to create a page template that I can re use for each individual pose?
      I tried to save the page template and then activate it on the 2nd page/pose I was working on, but all it did was clone the page. The moment I edited the second page/pose, the changes reflected on the first page too. 
      So my question is, How do I save all the sections and formatting as a template and still be able to edit it individually?
    • Best approach for integrating with a service that needs specific version of jQuery?
      By chamainew
      Hi there,
      I'm working with a developer on an integration between my DMS2-based site and a 3rd party service that needs to use an older version of jQuery for some important transactional elements.  
      We initially tried to create a custom page template in our child theme (as per, with the thought that we could un-enqueue jQuery (and other things that don't work) in our new template.
      However, the page template is not selectable in the DMS Page Setup box.  We are using the skeleton-basic child theme.
      This particular page doesn't need to do any drag and drop editing - but we do want the header, menu, and other elements on our site.  The transactional element is inserted in the page using a shortcode, after the page content.
      I want to be able to create several instances of this page, which is why we thought a page template would be the easiest way to accomplish this.  An alternative would be to unhook the jquery  in functions.php using a custom field, but this would be a lot more work than just a page template.
      Do you have some other suggestions?
      Summary of our setup:
      Theme:  Skeleton-basic child theme and DMS2
      Hosting: LAMP stack at LiquidWeb