Sign in to follow this  
jannon

How do I sort custom post types within a category view

jannon

I have several custom post types that I use the plugin Views for creating displays using certain fields from the custom post types. However, I am not able to create a display for an archive view (PageLines category page) that will display the posts within a category by specific field. Here's what I mean: I have a custom post type called visual and within that I have several fields, one of which is a "last name" field. Also, each of these visual posts has one or more categories. So for this example, I have visual posts that are painters, I'd like to display these in alpha order by there "last name" instead of reverse chronologic order as is the WordPress default. How would I do that?

jannon

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, Post Types Order doesn't work with Views and ends up breaking any views I have built. I had tried this plugin before when I was trying to order other posts. But in this case I want to order within the WordPress archive loop. Views allows me to create a layout but not order the posts. I looked on the WordPress site but I couldn't find any code that ordered posts within an archive query by a specific field and in alpha order.

Rob

You might need a custom developed solution for this request. I'd suggest contacting some of our Pros for a quote: http://www.pagelines.com/pros

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur