Sign in to follow this  
tonyzeoli

Hiding sidebar from two-column page does not remove it completely

tonyzeoli

I went into site options and checked the box to hide a sidebar completely if there are no widgets in it. Then, I went to set the page widgets and hide sidebar 2. Yes, the sidebar widgets are "hidden", but the space is empty and does not collapse, to that the Tertiary sidebar is on top of Sidebar 1. My goal is to use Sidebar 1 or some pages and then hide Sidebar 1 and reveal Sidebar 2 on others. I'd like to use Flexi Page Widgets for this, but it seems as if Flexi Page Widgets is not available on my BBPress Forum Pages, so I can's assign widgets to the Forum pages only. I figured I'd try to use Sidebar 1 for Home and other Content Page and Sidebar 2 for all Forum pages, but when I choose the Page setting for two sidebars, the sidebar area is still occupied by white space. Any ideas on how to actually completely remove one of the two sidebars so that it is completely removed instead of being held by that whitespace with nothing in it.

catrina

You can hide one of the two sidebars completely by hiding with custom CSS (this would eliminate white space) using the display: none; attribute. If you're not familiar with Firebug and using it to find CSS customizations, there is a tutorial here: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Custom_CSS

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

tonyzeoli

Okay, I will try and use the custom CSS tutorial to effectively hide sidebar 2, but will I be able to just hide sidebar 2 by page name as well, or will it hide it sidewide?

James B

Hi Tony You can use CSS to hide elements on a per page basis, just have to use the Page ID to target which pages followed by the required css.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B