Sign in to follow this  
arlomiller

Unhooking social media icons

arlomiller

Just curious if there is an easy way to unhook the social media icons that sit next to the top navigation and replace them with my own function, thanks.

bxbmedia

@arlomiller, There isn't a simple hook/filter to wipe out the icons from being printed to the screen. You have a few options though depending on what you're comfortable with. 1) you can hide the icons with css and then use a hook to inject markup or run some other code. CSS to hide icons:

.branding_wrap .icons { display:none; }
Hooks: pagelines_before_branding_icons or pagelines_after_branding_icons ex:
<?php
	add_action('pagelines_before_branding_icons', 'my_function_to_fire');

2) you can customize the branding section yourself by copying the branding section folder from the pagelines core sections into your child theme's "sections" folder in the root of your child theme's directory and then modifying as you wish. If this sounds confusing, go with the 1st option.

gl hf

James B

Hi Arlomiller, did Bxbmedia's solution work for you? Let us know if you require further assistance or if resolved please hit 'accept' to resolve this thread :)

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

arlomiller

I am using the pagelines customize plugin, I've read that I cannot copy the sections into this and that I would have to create a child theme. I read that creating the child theme requires me to install the base theme, will installing this theme override all of the edits I've made so far to the css that I've included in the pagelines customize plugin? I don't want to accidentally mess anything up. I would like my logo and function that replaces the icons to be on the same line, and it appears that my function is AFTER the box containing the logo, I'd like it to be in the same box, which i guess means altering the branding section's html and using it in my child theme, please advise.

Danny

Hi, If you're using the PageLines Customisation plugin and want to copy a section (create a child section) all you need to do is upload this section to the following directory. /wp-content/plugins/pagelines-sections/

Please search our forums, before posting!

bxbmedia

@arlomiller,

I read that creating the child theme requires me to install the base theme, will installing this theme override all of the edits I've made so far to the css that I've included in the pagelines customize plugin?
No, any customizations you've made using the Pagelines Customize plugin will not be affected by changing your theme. This is because the customize plugin is an extension and it's customizations are not theme-specific. Like Danny said, using your own child theme (pageline's example child theme is called "Base") is not necessary to create your own customized version of the branding section.

gl hf

Rob

I agree with @bxbmedia.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur