Sign in to follow this  
kdaniels

How to adjust the width of bbPress forum and topic content?

kdaniels

Description: bbPress forums and topics are displayed with "fat page margins". There is no change in this behavior with the Pageline Framework theme or with the iBlogPro5 theme. The formatting of the forum content and the topic content is nice a neat and is what I am expecting, however it's "squeezed-in" on the left and right, so that the content is being drawn down the middle but only one-third of the page is being used. In other words, white space about the same width of the content is being drawn on each side of the content. Firefox's -> Tools -> Web Developer -> Inspect reveals the following: The content block which includes the white space is ".fullwidth #column-main .mcolumn-pad" in styles.css on line 54. Note padding is set to "padding: 0px;". The forum and topic content block is "div#bbpress-forums". This is the block that is formatted nicely, but is flanked by white space. Troubleshooting (try different theme settings): Wordpress -> Dashboard -> Pagelines -> Layout Editor -> Layout Handling -> tried all these settings (no change). Wordpress -> Dashboard -> Pagelines -> Layout Editor -> Site Design Mode -> tried changing these too (no change). Wordpress -> Dashboard -> Pagelines -> Layout Editor -> Default Layout Mode -> tried full width, tried 2 column with SB1 on left (no change). Wordpress -> Dashboard -> Pagelines -> Page Options -> Page Setup -> Select Page Layout -> (Forum Archive, Forum, Topic Archive, Topic) is set to full page width.

catrina

Can you please post a screenshot of the issue (since there is no live link to check)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

kdaniels

Yes -- but how? BTW, I see (at the bottom of this page) a comment button icon with the picture (under "Write Comment", "Preview", "Save Draft"), but it simply auto-populates %7Boption%7D tags. I was expecting a browser upload dialog. How can I append screencaps to this topic? (Thank you.)

Danny

Hi, To troubleshoot something like this, we are going to need a link to your site, screenshots won't do unfortunately. Although, from your screenshot, it looks as though your bbPress forums page layout is set to two sidebars left and right, is this correct ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

kdaniels

Hi, Danny. For the screencaps I used 1 sidebar (left) for all bbPress forum page layouts. Here's a interesting tell-tale sign: notice that the content (screencaps) is drawn slightly right of the PageLines leaf watermark (bottom page). When I set the forum page layout to full width, the width of the content remains the same, but now the watermark becomes centered, meaning it's shifted slightly left of where it was when the format was set to 1 sidebar (left). The whitespace on the left shrinks a little, and the whitespace on the right grows a little. This behavior tells me that something (but not everything) about the forum layout change is being honored. Since this is a private (meaning no route to host) website being developed, I have no public link for you to use. Of course I can post relevant CSS, HTML, PHP snippets that you request, provided that we do not break copyright by doing so.

Danny

Hi, Have you added any custom code at all, as this looks as though it may well be a CSS issue. I have just installed bbPress on a test site and didn't encounter your issue.

Please search our forums, before posting!

kdaniels

Danny, thanks for the confirmation. I used that info to turn on the after-burners. To answer your question -- no custom code was being used. To be clear, I had already gone through the usual process of eliminating plugin conflicts (disabling all, but no change). The cause turned out to be a setting that I had applied for a plugin I had disabled (BuddyPress). I had read in another web forum that bbPress forum slugs should be changed so as not to conflict with BuddyPress. The fix was not that intuitive: 1. WordPress -> Dashboard -> Settings -> Forums -> Archive Slugs -> Forums base -> change my custom slug name back to the default slug = "forums" (without quotes) -> Save Changes 2. WordPress -> Dashboard -> Settings -> Forums -> Single Slugs -> Forum slug -> change my custom slug name back to the default slug = "forum" (without quotes) -> Save Changes I found that if you do not save these settings independently, you'll see no change in the page output. Now the forum pages are being drawn as expected: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7880844154/in/set-72157631280015418 Once again, thanks.

Rob

We're very happy you've been able to resolve that issue. Thank you for sharing your results with others and with us. I'll accept an answer for you, for moderation purposes.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur