Sign in to follow this  
wren

Scrolling background image

wren

Hi, I'm not sure why my background is still scrolling around. I was directed to ??“??“http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_background.asp and I added this string to my Custom CSS in Global Settings: body.home { background-image:url('http://www.acmeworx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Fish-Launch-Page.png'); background-repeat:no-repeat; } but the background still scrolls instead of remaining static. I wish I knew more about why some things work in Custom CSS and others don't. Is it possible to make my background stay put? I also have a query out under 'margins' about why my top margin remains too big despite specifying a very narrow margin in Custom CSS. Any ideas how I can globally set my site to have no top padding above the banner or the feature box on my Home page?

wren

I decided to go at this problem another way, by deleting my background image with the intention to just add a box with a graphic. Two problems: 1)Despite having eliminated my full-size background, I'm still seeing the scroll bar on my Home page and it causes my Features box as well as the whole page to scroll. 2) I added the WP Boxer plug-in, created a Box set to be applied to my Home page with the graphic I want associated with my box. I've assigned the Box set in my Edit page, saved Meta settings and updated but the Box is a no-show. I'm not sure if I'm mixing up my Box settings between Pagelines and the WP Boxer plug-in. I'm not seeing how to get my Box to show up on my Home page. Sigh... Thanks for any help you can give me.

Danny

Hi, If you wish to have a background image to your site and have it in a fixed position, simply use the Site Background Image (Optional) settings and simply select Fixed in the "Set Background Attachment". http://www.screencast.com/t/vk23ddOr

Please search our forums, before posting!

wren

My Home page has Features active and I don't really need a background image. I want to add a clickable box but I've had no luck with getting Boxes to show up on the Home page although they show up on other pages. My Home page is the only one which I've set to have a black background in Custom CSS. The Features window shows up just fine and functions normally but I don't know why my uploaded image in Boxes doesn't show up at all. Also, I'm still having a problem with a scroll bar causing my Features window to roll up and down. Is there CSS code to make the page remain static?

wren

I've turned off plug-ins and one by one turned on the ones I like. It has no bearing on the Home page and in all other pages, everything works great. I'm starting to think that the Features section is the source of what's going batty. The latest de-evolutions: 1) My features settings are having no effect on the appearance of my Features. Unless I set my browser zoom setting to 125%, my Features window keeps cutting off the bottom of my uploaded image when I have Chrome set to 100% 2) I'm still wondering why my Box settings don't show up on my Home page, only on all other pages? I've removed my background image and assigned a Box set to the Home page using both Pagelines Box settings and also tried with WP Boxer. In both cases, my box with the assigned image does not show up. My background color for my Home page is set to black. Are Boxes not ordered on top of the background color? My Features window shows but the Box won't.

Rob

Wren, If you recently installed WP-Boxer, you haven't read the documentation as they changed from using Boxes to Content Blocks, which are the same basic thing. Look on your dashboard and you'll see an option for those in the left-side menu. The answer to your Boxer issues is going to be found in its documentation which is critical to read thoroughly. If you need support for Boxer, please contact the plugin author. I'll try to be helpful, since I use it myself, but that's a 3rd party plugin and your best options are to seriously study documentation first, then if you can't get it working, contact the author. Since you're not explaining how you're trying to get the box on the page, whether it's via Boxer or default boxes, I can't answer why it's not showing, but it seems you probably have missed a few steps along the way. If you prefer to use our boxes, just look at our Wiki where there's a very accurate article on using Boxes. As for the background scrolling or not scrolling, Danny's answer is correct. On a per page basis, you can select the fixed background option, provided your homepage is static. However, since a dynamic page doesn't have direct settings, you'd be forced to use the defaults. Note that rejecting replies does not guaranty that you'll get a faster or better answer. In fact, it can slow your response time since it requires more research on our part.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

wren

Thank you soooo much for bringing me up to speed on Boxer, I hadn't found the docs for it but I'll go look now. I think I've got all my scrolling issues in hand now and I definitely want to use Boxer for the versatility implied with it. Thanks for the tip on rejecting answer, I wasn't sure what the right thing to do there was. Glad my queries weren't due to plug-in incompatibilities. Thanks again. Cheers!