Sign in to follow this  
chules

Change Wordpress URL when site goes production

chules

I use Pagelines for all my Wordpress installs and have a question about changing URL's as the site moves from development to production. I use host files myself when developing a site but having customers change their host files to view a site in development is proving too difficult. During development I would like to build sites with the following url structure. customer-domain.mycompanyname.com (abc.myccompanyname.com). Doing this would give me the ability to edit my own company DNS records and provide the customers a live link to their site by my simply creating a subdomain A record. Easy enough but the problem I have is when I promote the site to production to replace their legacy website. Most of the image links within Pagelines use full urls, for example when you add a logo. All of this needs to be changed as well as changing the urls names within the wordpress settings and database. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can simplify this process of moving a site from a development phase to a production build. I see plugins such as Change WP URL that seem to address this but I am looking for some advice from others who have faced this situation. Thank you - chules

James B

Hi Chules, I've done this before with a couple of my sites. I usually use WP-Migrate_DB (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-migrate-db/) to change the url paths and save the new database. Then I export the Pagelines Theme using the built in features in Pagelines>Dashboard>Account. Upload the database to the new site, install the Pagelines settings file, then its just a case of uploading your image/uploads folder by FTP to the new install. Hope that helps, there might be a much easier way though, so see who else answers :)

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B