Sign in to follow this  
Jason M

How to activate Base Theme in Framework?

Jason M

I'm using PageLines Framework 2.1.3 and I'm looking for solutions to add community forum pages. BuddyPress seems like a good option to try, and the steps required to install BP seem relatively easy. The first recommended step is to install and activate the Base Theme through the store. Very easy, but I ran into a problem: My site's main navigation menu now had many more menu options showing up, which made the whole page cluttered. I deactivated and tried to find a solution in the forums but did not find an answer and don't want to mess around because my site is active. That's the background. Any suggestions?

oksodavid

Hi, did you use wp menu's to organize your new navigation points wp-admin/nav-menus.php? If not, you can organise all your new Buddypress menus's as a drop down under members, groups or forums etc. Once you're on the respective page eg www.compression.org/group-forums/ Buddypress/BBpress will offer built in navigation for the facilities on that page.

Jason M

Yes, I created menus in wp and then selected one as my 'primary website navigation' for my CURRENT website prior to trying to activate the Base Child Theme. When I activated the Base Child Theme the 'primary website navigation' menu included several menu options that were not part of the designated menu. At this point I have not even attempted to install BuddyPress because the recommended first step was to activate the Base Theme, which isn't working.

Danny

Hi, When you activated the Base child theme, your menu changed because your menu was associated to PageLines Framework and not the Base child theme. Therefore, all you need to do is activate the Base theme and then setup your menu again. Also, you're using an out of date version of PageLines Framework, I highly recommend you backup your website and perform an update to the latest version.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Jason M

Thanks, Danny. I wasn't sure from your response if I'd have to recreate all of my custom menua, but I went ahead and activated the Base child theme anyway to see what happens. You probably know this, but to make it clear for others in the future, all of my menus were still intact and all I had to do was select the custom menu for 'primary website navigation', 'primary navigation in footer columns', and 'simple nav section.' And, yes, I do have to update to the latest version of PageLines Framework. When I tried I had too many things go wrong with my pages. I've also never used the Base child theme so I'll have to read about what happens when updating Framework and using the Base child theme. Thanks for the help!