Sign in to follow this  
arno

Overview or comparison of all (core) sections?

arno

Very basic question: I am not a heavy PL user, yet. Is there any place where I can see a comparison or synopsis about the section, at least the core ones? Each section is nicely documented, but it is a bit confusing to decide which one to use for which purpose. A nice overview (table?) would help: Where can you use the section? What purpose it is typically used for? What options can you configure? Limitations? Other special highlights. All descriptions with "unicorn magic" are cure, but don't help me to make choices to make my PL site look good. I need a bird's perspective for the sections. Is it out there?

arno

The closest to an overview is http://demo.pagelines.com/framework/sections/ . However, the brief descriptions don't emphasize how the Sections are distinct. I'm sure that several sections have been introduced as a response to the limitations of another section. For someone who hasn't been through that evolution, the resulting multitude of Sections is a bit confusing. Why Banner or Masthead? Aren't they just Boxes with 1 column? Why Quickslider or Carousel? Aren't they just Features without text? I'm sure that these questions are amusing to the Pagelines afficionados and have sensible answers. However, I feel that I have to read the docs for each Section type first or try the Section before I can feel confident I chose the right one. Yes, each tree is documented nicely. I need an overview about the forest first.

Rob

Hi, I appreciate your perspective Arno and will bring this up with our developers. An elevated view of the overall core sections would be helpful to let people know what they do, where they go, etc. Meanwhile, the majority can be used in either the Page Templates or Content Area via the Drag & Drop. If you have any particular sections you need advice on, please don't hesitate to ask.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob
Why Banner or Masthead? Aren't they just Boxes with 1 column?
The styling of each are different and they're not boxes. Preformatted sections for placing headings in various places in your site is more appropriate a definition, in my opinion.
Why Quickslider or Carousel? Aren't they just Features without text?
Quickslider is a cross between a carousel and a slider, yet it has the ability to use larger images without extraneous coding to change the Carousel which is quite formatted. No, they're not just Features, I assure you. Features have many more functions than just a text overlay. I hope this helps.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

arno

@rangelone, your last comment is helpful, goes into the right direction - to have a comparative perspective on the Section types. Btw - here's another idea. What if you find out that another Section type is more appropriate for what I want to do? It's copy and paste from let's say Boxes to Banner. Most content of the section appear to consist of an image, some text, and a link. Wouldn't it be a killer feature if such a content combination could be transformed into a different Section type? In a Box, you could have a "turn into a Banner" option. (Of course a few things to add/edit after that.) Should that be a separate thread?

Danny

Hi Arno, Would it be possible to create a new topic regarding your post above and create this topic in our Ideas and Feedback forum.

Please search our forums, before posting!