Sign in to follow this  
mindfulbaby

Can posts exist in drop-down menus?

mindfulbaby

Basic one - can I have posts appear within a drop-down? I only see docs/forums reference pages in menus, so I think the answer is no. I have set up my main menu (5 different pages), and I can figure out how to create drop-downs where the children are pages. But...can I have posts as the children in the drop-down? Maybe this is bad practice. I basically wanted to show a menu item with a bunch of different patters, so the drop-down will let you select a pattern (maybe 9 or 10 in total) and that will lead to a post (...or page) with some pictures of the pattern and a description (and then I wanted one pic from each of the patterns to also be in a carousel). Perhaps I should be making these all pages instead? I will rarely be adding more patterns, so they are really static (I might be missing the benefit of adding all the patterns as pages instead of posts..) Thanks!

jennajonesdesign

It sounds to me like you could just use pages, but YES you can put a post in a menu. I would just use the "Custom Links" option under menus. Just copy and paste your post URL and then title it whatever you would like.

Danny

Hi, If you wish to add your posts to your menu, simply login to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Appearance > Menus. Then in the top right hand corner of your menu page, you should see something called "Screen Options", when clicked a drop down menu will appear, check the box next to posts. Once you have done this, you will now see a new section appear on the left hand side called Posts, which contains all the posts you have created, which allows you to add them to your menu.

Please search our forums, before posting!

mindfulbaby

Ahh, the infamous unchecked boxes in Screen Options (where I never think to look!) Thank you for the help!

Rob

I'll accept an answer for you, since you seem happy! :)

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur