steveandrews

Slow website

steveandrews

I've noticed that websites I set up with the Pagelines framework are running very slow compared to other themes. I've tested a site with the Pagelines theme active on pingdone and get these results. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/841877/pagelines-ping-test.jpg If I test the same site but with the standard Twenty Eleven theme activated, the load time is almost 10 times faster! See this link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/841877/Twenty-Eleven-test.jpg Is there anything I can do to speed it up? (I've tried turning on minification) Thanks in advance, Steve

catrina

Can you please activate PageLines Framework on your site again so I can check it out?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

steveandrews

No probs, it's activated now :-)

catrina

I validated your site and there were no errors reported. Do you have a lot of plugins installed? If so, you may want to uninstall some.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

steveandrews

The only plugin I have activate is Pagelines Sections. I've just tested it again on the Pingdom site and the results say "Your website is slower than 75% of all tested websites". Yet if I switch the same site to use the twenty eleven theme, it's faster than 86% of websites.

catrina

I can't say what would need to be done for PageLines Framework specifically to make it load faster, but this WordPress documentation is useful: http://www.sparringmind.com/speed-up-wordpress/

Designer | Catrina Dulay

steveandrews

The problem isn't Wordpress because the site isn't slow and has a good ping if I use the Twenty Eleven theme rather than Pagelines.

Rob

Steve, add to wp-config.php the following:

define( 'LESS_FILE_MODE', true );
	define( 'PL_NO_DYNAMIC_URL', true );

These will not hurt your site in any way, but will enable your server to use a different mode to view the CSS and process it faster.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Simon

Actually steve...

This will enable file based css caching, which is the fastest method.

This will disable the 'pretty' url for the css file and also disable the above file mode! This is only used if permalinks are not setup right. Sorry for the confusion!

steveandrews

Thanks Simon. I've tried that and it's much better.

TourKick (Clifford P)

Actually steve...

This will enable file based css caching, which is the fastest method.

This will disable the 'pretty' url for the css file and also disable the above file mode! This is only used if permalinks are not setup right. Sorry for the confusion!

Would you recommend these 2 configurations for all production sites, even on WP Engine and PageLines sites not experiencing any (known) issues?

Simon

tourkick Cliff, No. If you read my comments you will see that one cancels the other.

LESS_FILE_MODE Tells the framework to write a physical css file, and it can then be cached with CDN's etc, and of course is loaded instantly.

PL_NO_DYNAMIC_URL Is like a 'safe mode' in that it defaults back to normal dynamic css creation and uses a query stringed url like: http://mysite.com?pageless=1 Which does not cache so well but will work on all configurations.

squarepenguin

Hello all,

Regarding the LESS_FILE_MODE...

Firstly, can anyone help me with how to alter permissions to allow the uploads file to be written to? Even if it's just a pointer to when term to put in Google and then send me off to speak with the hosting provider (tsohost) to make sure it works with their setup, I'd appreciate it.

Secondly, I can see that when saving any changes to Pagelines, a new CSS file is created and the file name changes. Presumably then, if I use File Mode and my CDN caches the Pagelines CSS, when I perform any updates to my design etc and create a 'new' CSS file with a unique name, this will then get uploaded to the CDN and cause conflict with the old CSS file?

Before I ask the next question, know that I am using W3TC to integrate Amazon CloudFront...

So IF the above is true, though I know my understanding might be wrong there, does using W3TC to combine CSS files and send off to CloudFront handle this file name change seamlessly?

I don't want to get to a situation that I make a change and have to go into CloudFront and invalidate old CSS files manually.

Annoyingly, as I understand it, I can specify files to keep out of the CDN in W3TC. However, would there be time in between creating the new CSS file, identifying the file name and getting this into W3TC before CloudFront scoops it up? I'd be happy to have the file mode work and let the CSS files stay out of the CDN if using it causes conflict.

It seems like a tangle of conflicts going on, but that's probably my ignorance so any help you can provide would be gratefully received!

catrina

@squarepenguin and @gayatriom, can you please start new topics (to avoid confusion since steveandrews' problem is similar but still separate)?

Designer | Catrina Dulay