Sign in to follow this  
danielfinn

Site layout suddenly messed up

danielfinn

I visited my site at random and its layout has messed up. It looks similar to an all HTML page view. None of the pagelines sections are visible. Can someone help me determine why this is? I did not add or remove any kind of CSS or install any plug-ins prioir to this happening. The site was fine one minute and then different the next.

Rob

Daniel, this can happen when a plugin becomes deprecated or from a corrupted .htaccess file. Rest assured, it won't be one of our plugins. Our developer suggests deleting .htaccess and turning off permalinks (save the default). Be sure to back up your .htaccess locally, in case you have any custom information in there. It may create a new file. If not, create a brand new, blank file called .htaccess to replace the deleted one. (Don't overwrite... delete and replace.) If it doesn't work, then do what I suggest below. Go through all your installed plugins looking for each plugin not produced by PageLines or available in our Store. Temporarily deactivate them. Check to see if the problem resolves. Note: It's partially visible now in Firefox, but throwing a 500 error in Chrome.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob

Daniel, take a look at this: http://www.danielfinn.co.uk/danielfinn/wp-content/themes/pagelines/pagelines-compiled-css-1344978315/ It would appear you may be using an outdated version of Plesk or some component thereof, which is causing the "r's" in your CSS to vanish. Our developer suggested that you should upgrade Plesk or, better yet, switch to a cPanel machine to avoid kissing your "r's" goodbye from time to time. He actually spelled that one differently! ;)

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

danielfinn

I will read the suggested articles. The issue seems to have resolved itself. I waited about 3 hours or so and different page sections gradually started to behave correctly. Also, could you provide me with some material on what Plesk is and how to upgrade? and what/how to switch cpanel machine?

danielfinn

Also, the last wordpress plug-in I instealled was a few weeks ago. The one pagelines plug-in I installed a few minutes before this problem arose was the browser specific CSS one. Although, from what you said, this must be unrelated.

Danny

Hi Daniel, Like Rob suggested, I too would recommend switching to a cPanel powered machine. As Plesk can have some odd server setups. I have accepted Robs answer for moderation purposes.

Please search our forums, before posting!

danielfinn

Do you mind telling me what switching to a cpanel machine entails? Or Where I can find out what this means? Although I noticed the issue resolved itself last night, it appears to have come back today.

Danny

Basically, you would either need to contact your host and inform them that they are using old libraries for Plesk (this is what the issue is as far as I know) and ask them if its possible for them to move your hosting to a server using cPanel. If they only provide the Plesk control panel, I would recommend changing web host, we do recommend ZippyKid or WP Engine. http://www.zippykid.com/ http://wpengine.com/

Please search our forums, before posting!

danielfinn

Thanks for the help. The provider I am using is 123-reg.co.uk. At the moment I am on a shard server package that does not use cpannel or Plesk. It is possible to upgrade the package to a private server which uses cpannel or Plesk for ??14 a month ($21). Do you think there would be any advantage with using WP Enging or ZippyKid over a private sever account with cpannel.