Sign in to follow this  
gcoppola7

Changing RSS in side bar using Qtranslate for different languages

gcoppola7

I'm new and have searched the forums, but couldn't find anything useful. I installed Qtranslate plugin to have a Spanish and English version of the page. Most content, as well as boxes and features, I can translate, but I want to use a different RSS newsfeed for the Spanish page, naturally showing Spanish results. The problem is I can't find a way to include a different RSS feed in "http://www.example.com/?lang=es" because it's all under the same template.

Rob

As an RSS feed comes from a different source, I do not believe you can translate it on your end normally. However, I understand that http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/transposh-translation-filter-for-wordpress/ has support to translate RSS. I do not know if that's translation of your outgoing feeds or anything incoming. Most likely the former, not the latter.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gcoppola7

Thank you Rangelone. I now realize my message might be confusing. What I need to do is not translate the RSS feed, but to show a different RSS feed in the Spanish page. As in, the English page will show an English news feed based on my English search parameters, but I want the Spanish page to show the results from Spanish search parameters. English page: results from Google News Show showing English newsstories, and for my Spanish page, the same but showing Spanish stories. I have the RSS feeds set up and they work, but I can't find a way to change the RSS feed for the Spanish version using Qtranslate. I could always create new pages for each, but then there wouldn't be any point in using the plugin. apologies if i wasn't clear the first time.

Rob

No worries, but I'm unsure how to make this happen. Are the RSS feeds you're getting in Spanish for the Spanish pages?

gcoppola7

Actually, now I have them both on, English on top of Spanish on both versions, but only because I included them as sidebar 1 and sidebar 2. What i want is to have only the English one with the English RSS and the Spanish with the Spanish RSS. in my page americasblindspot.com you'll see the first in SB1 labelled "Latin American energy headlines" and below on SB2 one called "Titulares de energia latinoamericanos". I want in the ENG version for the first to show up and on the Spanish version for the second to show up.

Rob

If you created a static page for Spanish, you can use a plugin called "Widget Logic" that will make your widget appear ONLY on that page. Similarly, you can also have a page for English, and tell Widget Logic to make the widget (in English) appear only for that page. If your pages are dynamic, you only have to find out the information needed by Widget Logic, enter it into the field that will appear inside the widget (Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets). Please see this http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/ and http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/widget-logic/installation/ for installation and use instructions. That should resolve the matter for you. However, you may wish to move the widget for Spanish into the same sidebar and eliminate the stacked sidebars. The reason is that when empty, a div will remain for the empty sidebar unless you checked the box in Site Options to "Hide sidebars when empty".