Sign in to follow this  
lmorrell

BuddyPress Chaos

lmorrell

Hi, I tried to install buddypress and followed all the instuction provided http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_BuddyPress_for_PageLines_Plugin when it cam the part about Installation Wizard it was not made available. Several deletes and re-istallations later I have destoyed the URL's of the site and lost parts of the template. Basically my site is no-more. Please can you suggest how to repair the damage or begin again.

Rob

Okay, We do not make the Installation Wizard available. That's BuddyPress. So it seems you're just trying to install the BuddyPress integration, without actually installing BuddyPress itself as a plugin. That's where the integration will appear, once installed. It says "After you install & activate the BuddyPress plugin" That's speaking of BuddyPress itself, not our Integration. So, taking things one by one.. once you Install & Activate the Base Child Theme then you have to install BuddyPress itself. Just go to Dashboard > Plugins > Add New and search for BuddyPress. Once it comes up, install it (that's a basic install). Once that's installed and activated, on the top of the screen you'll see the Insallation Wizard.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

lmorrell

Hi, Thank you for your help, I didn't realise there were three things to install. I have followed the instructions and everything has installed as you say. Still I have the problem that my site is not accessible because all the pages are unavailable. The URLs seem to have changed. Plus formatting of 'boxes' has changed and now they are vertical instead of across the page.

Rob

Some critical questions. 1. Did you install Base Child Theme from our store? 2. Did you run the Installation Wizard, fully, up to the 4th step? 3. Did you install the BuddyPress Template Pack and activate it? 4. Did you check any boxes in running the BP Compatibility Check? 5. Did you then activate the Base Theme via Dashboard > Appearance > Themes?

lmorrell

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me yesterday. I had a day out of the office, so today I will hope to answer the questions. 1. Yes 2. Yes 3. Yes 4 No, not that I can recall. 5. Yes.

Danny

Hi, Add this line of code to your wp-config.php file and it should resolve your sites issue.

define( 'PL_NO_DYNAMIC_URL', true );

Please search our forums, before posting!

lmorrell

Ok thanks, we did that and it was helpful; the graphics in 'boxes' on my homepage are returned to horizontal but still all the links are destroyed. I am unable to view any pages execpt the home page, and after creating new test pages I am unable to view them, Maybe the site it truly corrupted and i will have to start again eh?

Danny

Hi, What is your permalink set to ?

lmorrell

Yeah Danny, Thanks woohoo! I reset it to defult. It was set at numeric which remember now being the suggested setting when installing buddypress. Thank you so much and the others in your team who have helped here.

lmorrell

Hi Sorry I am back again......... BP is asking me to change my peralinks from default What should I choose? numeric is the one that caused so much chaos.

lmorrell

Day and name doesn't work I have tried all the settings. None work. The last option is 'custom structure' And then after that comes.... quote.... 'Optional If you like, you may enter custom structures for your category and tag URLs here. For example, using topics as your category base would make your category links like http://example.org/topics/uncategorized/. If you leave these blank the defaults will be used.'

catrina

Try custom structure. For the category and tag custom structures, you can leave those ones alone.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Rob

I use

/%postname%/%post_id%

in my BuddyPress installation with no issues.

lmorrell

Thanks so much But....... nope! It doesn't work.

Danny

Hi, I have never encountered this issue before. Can you provide screenshots of where BuddyPress is asking you to change permalink structure please. Also, can can you answer the following questions: ??? What version of PageLines Framework, Wordpress and BuddyPress do you have installed? ??? What is your PHP, MySQL version ? Read the post below for information on how to find them. http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info ??? Can you disable all plug-ins except for BubbyPress and official PageLines plugins please. ??? Provide any screenshots which may assist us. ??? Can you copy all the code that is in your .htaccess file and paste into: http://paste.pagelines.com/ and then provide us with a link to this paste.

lmorrell

Hi, Thankyou, I really apreciate the depth of support you are offering on this issue. I am not able to answer all your question which will enable you to solve this problem. However I will upload images as you suggest.

Rob

We'll await your screenshots, but the info Danny's asking for should be pretty easy to get. The plugin deactivation should take 5 mins or less.

lmorrell

Thanks I hope you understood my explanations in the upload area.

catrina

If you need help getting a hold of the answers to the questions Danny asked, here are some more specific pointers: ??? What version of PageLines Framework, Wordpress and BuddyPress do you have installed? To find the version for... PageLines Framework: Dashboard > Appearance > Themes WordPress: Dashboard > Updates > It will say if you have the latest version BuddyPress: Dashboard > Plugins ??? What is your PHP, MySQL version ? Read the post below for information on how to find them. http://codex.wordpress.org/Finding_Server_Info You'll need to look at the dashboard on your hosting provider's site for this information. It's scattered, but not difficult to find. Please read the link above for further instruction. ??? Can you copy all the code that is in your .htaccess file and paste into: http://paste.pagelines.com/ and then provide us with a link to this paste. .htaccess file is located in the file folder for your WordPress install.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

lmorrell

Catrina, Thankyou for your help once again. I will try again to collect this information. My problem is my colleague, but it is very important that I get more help with this. Please bare with me here I will try again.