Sign in to follow this  
skocko

Missing NextGEN Gallery Thumb in Blog Carousel

skocko

I've searched and read related threads, the docs, and watched all the videos but I've yet to find the answer. Hopefully, I'm simply overlooking an uber-obvious step. Currently, on my home page, one of the thumbs is missing from the Carousel. That post uses the NextGen Gallery rather than the default WordPress image upload. Rather than going on about all the different things I've tried, perhaps it would be easier to simply email you login credentials so you can poke around yourself. The subject of the email will match this thread's title and I'll include the thread's link as well. (See, I really have read the other queries.) The reason for using NextGEN for the post in question is that I'd like the post thumbs to open in lightbox fashion rather than the default WP behavior. Part of trying to move my old high school class site into the 21st century. Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to my D'oh! moment.

Rob

You answered your own question here:

'That post uses the NextGen Gallery rather than the default WordPress image upload.'
When NextGen places the post thumb (featured image) that image will dynamically be pulled by WordPress but other things are looking for the actual post thumb link, which doesn't exist. As a result, they yield a missing image. So, in the case of your Carousel, it has the ability to look for all its images from NextGen gallery, or from the posts. If the image isn't statically present in the post, it has nothing to display. We discovered this problem dealing with http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/18118/only-some-of-the-carousel-thumbnails-show-up-for-category-posts#Item_1 Additionally, I noticed a discrepancy in my own site with a related posts plugin that couldn't call post thumbs because I had used another plugin to automatically grab the first image and make it the thumb. I'd suggest, at least to resolve the Carousel issue, placing the image properly as the featured image of the post. As for the lightbox solution you're seeking, I'm confident that can be accomplished by other means than NextGen, though it may require some coding of a hook. There are many lightbox plugins out there that will create based on the featured image. If you can't find one on WordPress.org, try CodeCanyon.net.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

skocko

Thanks so much for the quick answer, @rangelone. Understood and I'll look for an alt lightbox solution as you suggested. Really am loving PageLines and can't wait for my students' reactions to the new curriculum delivery system. Epic theme! P.S. I'll delete the temp account I made for you.