Sign in to follow this  
timlarner

pagelines-compiled-css goes AWOL after switching web hosts

timlarner

Hi. I relocated my website this morning from a rubbish hosting provider to a better one. I copied all the files across from one FTP to another, set-up new DB etc, but the only thing that didn't seem to make it was the pagelines-compiled-css-xxxxxx/. I had a look back in the old FTP file and it seemed it was never there to start with (or was hidden). Anyway, my new host says I need the pagelines-compiled-css-xxxxxxxx/ thing to get my site working, but I have no idea where to find it, let alone what type of file it actually even is. I have checked another site I have with pagelines and it also doesn't show the pagelines-compiled-css-xxxxxxxxxx/ listed in the FTP. However if I enter the address for it into the browser search bar it is there. Go figure!! Your help would be appreciated because my site is dead.

Rob

Since this is a 'compiled' CSS file, it's dynamic - created on the fly - from all the sources of CSS throughout your site. Instead of loading ten, twelve or twenty separate .css files, PageLines compiles the information into one dynamic file and uses that. I don't have a file called pagelines-compiled-css-xxxxxxxxxx/ either, and moved to a dedicated server not so long ago. From your former site, did you go to Dashboard > PageLines > Dashboard and use the Export option to export all settings, then import them via the same place in your new hosted site? If so, and that did not work, then I would suggest going to your launchpad account and downloading PageLines 2.2.5 again, unzipping the file. FTP to the new site, remove PageLines from there (the entire wp-content/themes/pagelines folder) and restoring it from the one you just downloaded and unzipped. Meanwhile I will report this incident to our developers for you.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

timlarner

Gee, I hate clicking the "Reject" button on someone elses post when they have taken the time to provide great advice. Pity there is not another word that wasn't so harsh. I switched my site back to my previous host and exported the settings as suggested and then uploaded them back on my new host after switching back. Unfortunately this has made no difference. My site has completely fallen apart. I then tried uninstalling the theme completely from my FTP and reinstalling a new Pagelines version downloaded and unzipped from my Pagelines account, but I assume it keeps a memory of the last settings used, because when I reinstalled it nothing had changed. My only option seems to be to switch themes and create a new version of the site with something else as Pagelines won't let me do anything. If anyone else has any ideas how to get the pagelines-compiled-css-xxxxxxxxxx/ (the x's are actual numbers which I guess relate to my version of Pagelines) back into my site it would REALLY be appreciated.

Danny

Hi, Like Rangelone mentioned above, there isn't a compile CSS file, it is created on the fly and is a combination of all your CSS files. I have visited the website you provide above - http://www.manchestercardiologist.co.uk/ Everything appears to be OK. Therefore, would it be possible to reply here and provide a link to the website which is having the issue please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

timlarner

Hi Danny. Sorry for the late reply. I switched the website back to my original provider and for the moment it works okay, however I would still like to switch it over in the future. It's just we are listed on the search engines now and I didn't want to have a completely wrecked site up. Better to have a site that works with a crappy hosting company, then no site all with a good one. If the compile CSS file is created on the fly, then when I need to transfer all the files from one FTP account to another, how do I get all the CSS files created as part of the Compile CSS to go with it? My new web host told me that that was the bit that was missing causing my site to collapse. How can I avoid this?

Simon

The file, is not a file, it is a wordpress rewrite, your browser is fooled into thinking its a real file and caches it. The real url is actually http:///?pageless=1 It will only work if your new server is configured to do rewrites properly, if not your permalinks will not work and wordpress rewrites will not work either. If you make the other site live again Id be happy to help you fix it.