Sign in to follow this  
mmscanlon

Can I embed a youtube video in boxes?

mmscanlon

I'd like to put two boxes in the content area of my home page just below my slider, one of which to be an embedded youtube video. Where can I put the embed code to have the video be in one of my boxes? I know that youtube videos can be embedded in features fairly seamlessly, so if I were to do this option, could I put two equal-sized features side by side?

Rob

Videos are inherently large, thus in a box, you'd be best using the full URL inside the content area of the box (where you'd add a blurb). Just make sure though, that the videos don't break the boxes as they usually do.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

mmscanlon

rangelone, I'm confused by what you mean by using the full URL inside the content area. In "Box Setup Options" I see fields for "Box Image," "Box Link (optional)," "Boxes Custom Class" and "More Link Text." Do you mean the content area that is located above the Box Setup Options? How can I ensure that the video does not break the box? I don't see where I can adjust the size of the box to accommodate the 560x315 YouTube video.

catrina

You'll need to add the YouTube embed code to the box content area. If you need to resize the box, you'll need to use custom CSS with help from Firebug (http://getfirebug.com). To use Firebug for CSS customizations, please see here: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/Custom_CSS

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

mmscanlon

So will I add the custom CSS into "Boxes Custom Class" field in the Boxes Setup section? I have minimum width and height entered into "Boxes Custom Class" and it still is not displaying the YouTube video Here's what I have entered into the Boxes Custom Class, which I took from w3schools:

p { min-width:560px; } p { min-height:315px; }

I also have the embed code in my content are, which designates the video as being 560x315

Rob

You can use either the full URL and resize the video using CSS... OR, more practically, get the Old Embed Code from Youtube and select the custom size. Check the Share > Embed options Youtube provides and you'll find a wonderful selection of sizes and the ability to create a custom size.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur