Sign in to follow this  
msoal

upgrade 2.2.5 messed up my site completely

msoal

Yet another Pagelines upgrade of the theme caused the Wordpress site to go from neat to mess. I have just upgraded from 2.1.5. to 2.2.5. I need to get back to the look it was before, is there any option how to reverse the upgrade and go back to before upgrade stage?? I certainly DO NOT want to redo all the settings.

Jenny

The issue is not 2.2.5 but rather the updates in between (there were a lot of updates from 2.1.5 to 2.2.5). If you let us know exactly what is not displaying properly, then we can help you sort this out. If it is only your widgets that aren't correct, then you can simply rearrange them in Appearance -> Widgets.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

millerwhite

I actually had an issue in trying to upgrade to 2.2.5 as well. I'm replying to this thread because of simple_mama's response above, in as much as I was going from 2.0.1 to 2.2.5, so I'm wondering if that was the issue. Essentially, we used Pagelines for a site's build, and I installed / did all my custom css (of which there was a LOT) on the base theme, as that was the recommended step to ensure that the customization wasn't overwritten by core framework updates. However, when I updated to 2.2.5, the initial problem is that the site's layout went haywire... widgets disappearing, all styling from the slider on the home page gone, all styling from the footer gone, etc. So, I tried to re-upload the WP / PL files I had downloaded before attempting the update. This was giving me fatal errors and the site would not load (couldn't access wp-admin either). Eventually, after speaking with the host's tech support, he got it to where the twentyten theme was applied to the site instead. I deleted the pagelines and pagelines-template-theme folders from the server via ftp altogether. Then, re-uploaded the ones that I had manually saved down before I attempted the update. This got the site back to its previous state, thankfully. So, referencing what simple_mama said above... what steps would I need to take to successfully upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.2.5, without losing all the customization that has gone into it to this point? (I know that's a lot of time in between the updates... we hadn't had to access the site in a while).

Rob

First, to both, many updates were offered between 2.0. and 2.2.5, including one that resolved this issue. It's the site owner/developer's job to maintain updates offered. I'm sorry about your troubles. In 99.9% of these cases, all that has happened is that the widget order has become re-arranged. Once you set this now, you'll be able to update without further re-arrangement. To fix this, simply slide the widgets up and down between sidebars to their proper places. DO NOT slide the widgets back to their original position on the left as any settings will be lost. By moving them vertically, none of the settings are changed. Nothing should have been lost. They're simply re-ordered. I apologize again for the disorder, but this was fixed in 2.2, which you both missed entirely. Nothing else should be seriously affected. Very few people, who've made serious customizations, or those who customized in the wrong places (such as in PageLines' core files) may lose some styling or customizations on upgrade. Its for this purpose we offer the PageLines Customize Plugin and Base child Theme.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jpmcmahon

I have previously upgraded to 2.2.1 and now have failures upgrading from 2.2.1 to 2.2.5; it is unsuccessful. I took from Rangelone's comment above that going from 2.2 would not be a problem but I have had the problem.

Rob

The problem you're having jp is the widget order?

jpmcmahon

Rangelone: I dont know the proper order for the widgets or how to reorder them; Is there a post/doc on this?

Rob

The proper order is whatever you wanted them to be. If you had Archives over Categories and now Archives is under Categories, you just have to go to Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets, find the place where they are and move the two widgets so they appear in the desired order. Check it in another tab which you can refresh after each change, seeing the changes live.

jpmcmahon

My website is very basic with static pages without sidebars and at Dashboard>Appearance>Widgets in the right hand column there are no widgets to re order. Could Breadcrumbs NavXT Widget have caused the problem? Just deactivated though was not using it.

Rob

@jpmcmahon, please open a new topic with a live link to your site so I or my colleagues can see what's 'messed up' there.