Sign in to follow this  
hartsook

Typography settings not working

hartsook

In the Site Options>Typography section, everything is set to Helvetica but everything is displaying in a serif font. No matter what type font I choose in any of the 3 sections from the pulldown menu, the font never changes. I can add custom color to the headers, with the Advanced button and that works, but the font family does not change. My client HATES serif fonts and even though this is in development, she still bristles every time I have her look at something because of the serif fonts. Help. Why does this feature NOT WORK? Using PageLines Framework 2.2.5, currently set to a child theme, but the same problem exists with the parent theme.

Rob

You say

"In the Site Options>Typography section, everything is set to Helvetica"
but you didn't say how you set "everything". Could you elaborate? Are you using Google Font Plugin? The Helvetica font isn't one of the Google Fonts or a preloaded font. As a result, if the visitor does not have it loaded on their machine, the site will default to the alt, which is 'serif'. So, the method of fixing this is use the Google Fonts plugin via our Store (free) and select a close or matching font, ensuring the font will load dynamically on all visitor's machines.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

hartsook

OK, got the Google Font Plugin, installed it, selected Droid Sans for font settings. The fixed menu bar fonts changed, but nothing else, not headers, widget content, page content, etc. I've disabled Ajax saves, disabled plugins, switched themes to 2011 and back (and in the process lost all my second and tertiary sidebar widgets!!!!). But the font family still won't change.

Danny

Hi, Is this now resolved as the font family used on your website is displaying the following fonts. Body is using "Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif" Fixed navigation menu is using ""Droid Sans", "Lucida Grande", Tahoma, sans-serif"

Please search our forums, before posting!

nionwebdesign

Don't want to hijack this thread but I also experience the same issues with the typography settings. Not using any plugins and the default text is set to Helvatica in the typography settings while the body font stays Georgia no matter what font you try for the body settings. I can change all the other font types to another font but not the body font. Editing the CSS is an option which solves the problem for sure but it would be better if I could easily change the body font with the typography settings.

Rob

Okay, Internet Basics 101. In the selection of fonts, there's a range of fonts listed under Typography that have a simple " * " next to the name. These are computer industry standard installed fonts found on everyone's computers, no matter what language they speak or what type computer they use (Windows or Mac). There's also a number of fonts that have nothing next to it. These fonts require that the visitor to your site install the font in order to make it visible on the site. You or your visitor MUST manually find and install that font. Nothing is done automatically or dynamically for those. Google Fonts have a " * G " next to the name. Those fonts are stored by Google, and when a visitor goes to your site, any font selection using a Google Font is automatically installed on the visitor's computer behind the scenes. That allows you to use non-standard fonts - an issue that plagued browsers for over a decade. Helvetica, as attractive as it may be, is NOT a standard font or a Google Font. It will default to Serif (Georgia) which is why you'll see an alternate instead of your selected font. If you have a plugin that selects the font for the body or you've manually selected it in CSS, that will override any font selection made in Typography.

yngvenor

I have the same problem with regards to the body font. I have chosen Arial, which is a standard font, and I have no font plugins activated, yet the body font is still a serif one.

Rob

@yngvenor, please open a new topic. I understand it's the same issue, but we'd prefer to keep each topic on the focus of each client's needs. Thanks for your kind cooperation.