Sign in to follow this  
shawkins

Cache-Control max-age directive

shawkins

I've been trying to set the max-age directive in the Cache-Control header for images using .htaccess files. However, it stays at Cache-Control: max-age=14400, public. Is this something that Pagelines is setting? If so, how can I change it? Thanks, Stephen

Jenny

Where are you seeing "Cache-Control: max-age=14400, public" ? I don't believe that is a PageLines setting. According to this (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/cache-control-max-age3-must-revalidate-where-can-this-be-edited), it may be related to a caching plugin.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

shawkins

You can see the cache-control values being returned by the server using something like Live Headers. After at first denying it, it turns out that my hosting provider is applying default cache-control values. Specifically they set max-age=14400. Normally you should be able to change the max-age directive using mod_expires in a .htaccess file. For whatever reason, in their environment mod_expires changes the expire date in the Expires header but it does NOT change the default max_age value in the Cache-Control header. This needs to be changed explicitly using mod_headers. Somehow they have broken mod_expires. Not the first thing that you would look for when trouble shooting something like this. So, its not a Pagelines issue after all but thanks for looking into it.

Danny

Thanks for informing us, we appreciate it.

Please search our forums, before posting!