Sign in to follow this  
1213online

How do I make "latest posts" appear as a menu item?

1213online

Hi, I'd like to alter the home page of my site with stronger CTA's. This involves changes to the structure so I'd like to move the blog off of the home page. I understand I can go to the reading settings and change how the home page displays by selecting "a static page." This works no problem. Where I run into difficulty is, I would like my "posts page" to be the latest posts that my page is currently displaying on the landing page, but I can't figure out how to do that. How can I make my latest posts be a menu selection and have that directed to a page that looks like my current home page? Thanks, Rob

catrina

The way I understand it, you're trying to create a separate "Latest Posts" page and it to the menu. The simple way to do this would be to do what you mentioned (selecting a static page for the homepage) and then in Appearance > Menus create a custom menu with a custom link that takes you to the Latest Posts page. First, however, you need to create an empty regular page called Latest Posts and you need to set that as the blog page in your Reading settings.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

1213online

Thanks Catrina. Makes sense, but what would that custom link be? When I create a new page how do I get that to populate with the blog posts?

catrina

Here are more specific instructions :)... Creating A New Page That Will Populate With Blog Posts 1. On your Dashboard go to Pages > Add New. 2. When you create your new page, name it "Latest Posts" and publish it. You don't even add content to the text editor on that page - just leave it blank. This is going to be the page where your posts will populate. Now follow these steps for adding that page as a link to your menu... Adding That New Page To Your Menu 1. On your Dashboard go to Appearance > Menus. Create a custom menu (name it whatever you'd like) and under Theme Location, select it under the "Primary Menu" dropdown list. (For further instructions on how to use custom menus, see here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Appearance_Menus_Screen) 2. Now that you have your custom menu created, you need to add whatever links you want to that menu. When you're doing this, add your "Latest Posts" page to the menu. Save your menu settings. Making Your Latest Posts Page Populate Posts 1. On your Dashboard go to Settings > Reading. 2. Select the "A static page" option, select a static page for your homepage (you can set any regular page you have), and select the "Latest Posts" page in the "Posts page" dropdown. Save your settings.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

1213online

I believe I'm following you, but I could be wrong... :P All of these steps makes sense except for the "Latest Posts" page populating my blog posts. How do I get my posts to appear in the "Latest Posts" page? Right now it just comes up as an empty page. Do I have to cut and paste my posts into this page?

catrina

You must leave the "Latest Posts" page blank. You don't need to add any content to it. To allow posts to populate on that page, you need to follow the steps outlined under "Making Your Latest Posts Page Populate Posts" which is outlined at the end of my last post.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

1213online

Catrina, Thank you, thank you, thank you. You explained it clearly, I just wasn't getting it. It will now do exactly what I was looking for. Again, thanks!

Rob

Great. I will let Catrina know that worked. If you're satisfied with Catrina's work, please click "Accept" in one of her replies. Thanks!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur