Sign in to follow this  
leah

Subnav on Blog Page WHP3

leah

I amended header.php to put the subnav directly under the nav menu (instead of under the feature/highlight box). However, on my blog page the subnav does not show up. I'd like it to be there - what am I missing? BTW thank you guys for all your help holding my hand through this - i've used wordpress for years, but this is the first time i've modified so much CSS and PHP myself. I have a couple of good books I'm using, but your help has been phenomenal (as is this theme!).

cmunns

In the THEME OPTIONS > HEADER AND NAV you just have to add the sub-category ID's to get them to appear on the index page. You'll see what I'm talking about.

leah

Hmm. My subnav bar contains pages, not categories. Will page ID's work as well?

bryan-hadaway

It could very well, go ahead and try it and let us know. Thanks, Bryan

leah

Nope. did not work. Other thoughts?

cmunns

Well I guess we can continue to just make you a PHP guru and modify the function? Take a look at _sub_head.php and let me know if it looks too overwhelming. It will be just an extra conditional on line 9 that should do the trick

leah

oh that should be no problem - i've already modified the templates_post.php and header.php :-) what's the line I need to add?

bryan-hadaway

Hold tight for a developer to get back to you... Thanks, Bryan

leah

no worries . . . this has been fun figuring all this stuff out!

cmunns

Leah, Love how your site is looking! I haven't tested this, but if you make line 9 look like this: `<?php if($post->post_parent || wp_list_pages("title_li=&child_of=".$post->ID."&echo=0") || is_blog()) $children = true;?>` that should work

leah

ok, that actually makes sense. Thanks for the comments! I am liking the site too. I'm working with the temple on their branding and what you see 2 months from now is going to be very different, but the color scheme and layout/nav function will be quite similar to what I have now. Gotta say, this theme makes this sooooooo easy. It's SUCH a functional theme. Not that I don't love Genesis, which I do, but I'm not (clearly) a code person, and this theme ROCKS in that department with all the different page templates and options. I'm running to a meeting and I'll try modifying the template later this afternoon and I'll let you know.

leah

Ok, sooooo that made the whole blog page disappear . . .

bryan-hadaway

You'll have to hold tight for Adams continued help on this one. Thanks, Bryan

leah

no worries. got tons of content to get in there in the mean time.

cmunns

Maybe a better solution is to copy this: `

<?php require(THEME_LIB.'/_sub_nav.php');?>
` over this portion: `
  • <?php wp_list_categories('include='.pagelines('subnav_categories').'&title_li='); ?> <?php if(!is_page_template('page-highlight.php') && !pagelines('hidesearch')) include (THEME_LIB . '/_searchform.php'); ?>
` (LINE 16)

leah

nope, sorry. hmmm. what is the name of the blog template in the "library" file?

cmunns

Typically index.php is what controls the main blog page, but we have it organized differently so each template doesn't have to be changed. I'm wondering if you leave the code as it was and replace wp_list_categories with wp_list_pages it will use page IDs instead of cat IDs in the theme options ? Do you know what I'm getting at?

leah

ok, that did not work. so if you don't use index.php what is the template for the blog post page? i'm taking one of my kids to the dentist (occupational hazard of being a WAHM :-)) and then I'll try a few ideas i have later. thanks for all your help!

bryan-hadaway

Okay, keep us updated. Thanks, Bryan

leah

Ok, so nothing I've tried works. Where is the template for the blog post page?

Andrew

Hey Leah, Took a look for you... To fix: in this file: _sub_head.php (inside library folder) find this line: `<?php elseif(!pagelines('hide_sub_header')):?>` and change to `<?php elseif(!pagelines('hide_sub_header') || is_home()):?>` It should fix it for you.... The subnav on the main blog page is designed to work only with categories that are added in the theme option (re: blog subnav categories or something to that effect)

leah

oh man I"m so sorry that did not work.

leah

Ok, I'm going to do something else with the blog page and just scrap the whole "i need a subnav here" thing :-) aaannnnnd I have "enable drop-down navigation" checked, BUT NO DROP DOWN what did I mess up when I was fooling around with code???