Sign in to follow this  
trueblue

Feature Slider Draw Issues

trueblue

I need help diagnosing a draw issue that occurs on pages that use the feature slider with a set of images. When you first visit my site their is a delay in the drawing until the server delivers all the content. During that time, the set of images that are supposed to be displayed only in the feature slider, draw down the entire page one stacked on top of the other. I've been trying to figure out what is causing this but with no luck. Once the pages are cached by the browser then no problem, the refresh is too quick to display any artifact. I have observed this behavior in both Safari and Firefox. Can anyone help me please? (visit: www.bmasda.org) Thank you! Jason W.

batman

Hi I??m a newbie but i see with: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/boXp28xdl/http://www.bmasda.org That your page have 1,4 Mb and you have image like kids_up_in_tree.jpg with 204 Kb Try to comprime it to 50 or 60 Kb without loss definition. With this you can charge the page more quicly. And you wait for a Moderator with more knowlege that mine. ;) PS: your page in my iMac look fine at the first time, without cache.

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

James B

Hi Jason has this been resolved? I've looked at your site and the images came up fine first time. Features seem to be working perfectly, let us know if you still need help.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

trueblue

Hi Jamie, no this hasn't been resolved. I guess you have to click on every menu item on the site and you will eventually see what I'm talking about. Images from the feature slider appear like a flash down below the white area of the page just for a brief moment while the rest of the content finishes loading. It looks jarring. I especially noticed the artifact on the contact page. But every page of the site has a feature slider on it so you will eventually see it if the pages are not cached in your browser. After doing some testing, I discovered that leaving the "Page Background" and "Content Background" blank in the Color Control panel, causes the effect. When a color is assigned their then the artifact goes away, but then my site requires transparency in at least the page backgrounds because I have the look of floating panels on some of my pages. Somehow, when the page background is transparent, the images from the feature slider show up in the page are and stack one on top of each other until the page finishes drawing then they disappear and are displayed in the feature slider like normal. Please click through the whole site until you see what I'm talking about. I have observed this effect, on my iMac at work and the one at my house, and also on my iPad. It also behaves the same way in Firefox. Thanks for your help! Jason

catrina

Others have reported this issue as well but no joy with finding a solution so far.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

beardedavenger

I actually fixed this a couple days ago by adding -webkit-backface-visibility. It'll be in on the next update, or you can add this to your Custom CSS. #feature_slider .fcontainer .fcontent{ -webkit-backface-visibility: hidden; // Hide the slides before JS is loaded } Nick

Something big is coming for DMS + photographers.

http://fotostheme.com

Nick Haskins & CO - New home for all of my PageLines Store products! 

http://nickhaskins.co

Better DMS - News, Tutorials, and Tips

http://betterdms.com

trueblue

Hi Nick, I added the custom CSS you suggested and at first it seemed to be helping a little bit, but I noticed when I clear my cache and start navigating the pages on the site, that the images in the feature slider, still show up on the page before the Java script has loaded. I copied the code as you have it here and pasted into the CSS code area in the site options, where I have the rest of my custom CSS at the moment. After testing several times, I guess nothing has really changed, so perhaps the fix is not really a fix, or I did something wrong, not sure which! Thanks for your help! Jason

Rob

Likely it's the result of caching, which will likely load the images first. Since the browser doesn't see the slider's jQuery till later, it's going to stack them. It could also be a memory issue, though less likely. Usually this issue resolves itself in a second or two. Is that the case with your site?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur