Sign in to follow this  
o_st

Translation / Localisation

o_st

Hi there, I just started using StationPro and I'm looking for a possibility to use multiple languages on my site. The Plugin qtranslate works just fine for me. The Problem is that many parts of the theme are not being translatet by the plugin (post-footer, comment-area etc.) I read in the Pagelineforums about the codestyling localization plugin which i tried to install. i was able to generate a german .po file, but it didn't do the job. There are a few things I don't understand: Isn't it right that need a default.po file to generate the other language .po files? I see a stationpro/language folder, but it's empty, no default.po file in there. Could some one please help and post a short Howto? Thanks and best, oliver

Andrew

Hey Oliver, There should be a default.po or StationPro.po file.. After looking at the theme it appears we forgot to regenerate when we updated the framework..(so many things to remember :P) We will fix, but it is created easily enough using the free POEdit software which you may need to do your translations as well...

basmati

Hey Oliver and Andrew, I just tried to translate the Platform Pro Theme with poEdit from EN to DE. Unfortunately something went wrong. A deeper look into the PHP files tells me that the Platform theme is localized - that means it is ready for translation (library.I18n.php). Thats good news, because otherwise it might be a lot more work - tracking through all the PHP files. My question to Andrew: Do you have any idea which are the right "path and parser settings" in poEdit? I already tried different ways. Some screenshots: 6l6Xa Thanks for help folks, Greetings, Peter

Andrew

Yes, just use the path to the theme itself... and make sure to add the `__`, `_n`, `_e` strings, if you're generating a language file. Then translate the file and place in the languages folder; with the appropriate country naming... Does that help?

basmati

No - it did not. I saved the new catalog de_DE.po file into the language folder of Platform Pro, but PoEdit is unable to import the EN content from the language files. Also i cant create a "New catalog from POT file" - without errors. You may take a look at the settings for path and keywords in poEdit - here are some Screenshots: Base Path: http://imgur.com/Rh4Rrl&jBXKY Keywords: jBXKY.png PHP Parser settings: http://imgur.com/yim6m

basmati

OK - I did a trick. Just copy the "platform.po" and change the name to "de_DE.po" and safe that. Go to: platformpro/languages/core/library/library.I18n.php Uncomment this:

/* Uncomment this to test your localization, make sure to enter the right language code.
	add_filter('locale','test_localization');
	function test_localization( $locale ) {
		return "nl_NL";
	}
	/**/

Than change "nl_NL" to "de_DE":
return "de_DE";

Think it works.. The first part of translation is done (about 89 to do). When i turn into my browser and hit refresh i see the german translations. That took me about 5 hours and the solution was that easy! Somebody needs a de_DE File?

andulka

Thanks, no, :-) but I would need a fi_FI file for StationPro, basically I have the same question as Oliver has, and have started another thread about it a few days ago. I've tried just about everything, but there are a few phrases, such as the footer text, that remain untranslated...

basmati

Yes, unfortunately its the same to me. Some phrases - you can find within different php files - did not show up in poEdit. On the other hand some parts of the text - within the PlatformPro themes options panel - in the backend were translated too - and thats funny, because now its part En part DE. You can do it "quick and dirty" - which means: search for the phrases in the php files and translate them - but i would prefer a pro solution - any ideas?

cmunns

Is there any commonality between the types of strings that are failing in poedit?

basmati

Nope - as far as i can see... You may have a look at the platform.po within poEdit - a lot of phrases missing even in the EN Version.

cmunns

What is an example of a string that's not working correctly?

e13kiki

I'm having similiar issues with DE, FR and EN language .po files. Most of the site translates just fine, but apparently the copy in the _morefoot.php file doesn't work with the .po files. I get the English copy (e.g. ???All entries, chronologically???) and although I have translated the text into French and German, that part always stays in English. E.g. If I view the site in French, the archive copy is in English and the names of the months are in French. And it's the same issue when switching to German.

cmunns

That part is clearly localized though `

<?php _e('Archives', 'pagelines');?>

<?php _e('All entries, chronologically...','pagelines');?>

• <?php wp_get_archives('type=monthly&limit=12'); ?>
` Do you have a caching plugin installed that could be saving to the translation tables oddly? Anyway for you try redoing the process with only the theme and translation plugin installed and nothing else? Also, you are using the Base theme correct? Did you try and see if PlatformPro works differently?

basmati

sorry for the late reply, i just dropped the topic at the moment. i'll be back later with infos. status now is: all important parts frontend are translated. thats strange: in the Platformpro admin section in the backend some single phrases and words are translated, also its actually in EN.

basmati

Now i'm back on this topic: Translation works but there are still two english phrases. Using the Searchfunction for example - below the searchresults: "Continue Reading" instead of "Mehr lesen" and "No results for" instead of: "Kein Suchergebnis f??r" (On the other hand "Try another search?" is translated into "Neue Suche?") Any ideas? Should i use dirty tricks and change the PHP files within the platformpros folder? Platform Version 111

cmunns

well the search page is an extension of the loop and the posts page so tell me this ...is the "Continue Reading" link being translated on other posts pages e.g. main, category, etc.?

basmati

yes indeed, the "Continue Reading" link is translated on other items, like boxes... its the same in platform pro and the base theme. there is no translation plugin in use - all phrases are "hand translated" with poedit.

basmati

Thank you! Very nice tool. Despite the plugin the "Continue Reading ?†’" appeares in the search results - instead of the german translation! Any ideas?

catrina

Hm, perhaps you can change that directly in the file where it says "Continue Reading"

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

basmati

Agreed Catrina, but thats a little dirty, because next time i update the platform pro folder i have to remember these changes... Its funny because the "Continue Reading ?†’" appeares although i translated it - twice - within the listed EN terms in the plugin.

Kate

@Peter Actually, you can copy the file that contains that into your child theme (maintaining the directory structure that's in the platformpro folder) and it won't be overwritten (unless you update the child theme) ;)

basmati

good idea, thanks kate. and somehow "the translation problem solved itself" greetings, peter