Sign in to follow this  
gbaustin

Can't get Primary Sidebar working on Home page

gbaustin

Folks, I need some help. I can't seem to get the primary sidebar to show up on my home page. I've checked everything I know of to make sure the "hide primary sidebar" is not checked. I'm still not sure what I'm missing for it to not show up. Here's the link: http://www.freefallcops.tv/ Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks, Greg

Rob

Greg, did you check Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options as well as on the page itself? Did you apply any Widget Logic code to the widget(s) in the sidebar to hide it(them) on the homepage?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gbaustin

Rangelone, Yes, I've gone into all the page options, to the page itself, and to the Text widget I have in the Primary Sidebar. All options to "hide primary sidebar" are unchecked. I'm pretty baffled as to what is causing it not to appear. Thanks, Greg

catrina

What happens when you switch the layout mode to one sidebar left and main content on the right? Also, try deactivating all active plugins one by one to see if a difference is made.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

gbaustin

Catrina, Here's what I've tried with the sidebar still not showing: 1.) Changed layout mode on the page to a left sidebar vs. the current right sidebar selection. It moved my box w/ video to the right with some space on the left for a sidebar but no sidebar showed up. 2.) I deactivated each widget one by one. No changes occurred when I did that. 3.) I looked through the various global and page settings again to make sure that "hide primary sidebar" was not selected. I must be missing something but I can't tell what it is. Thanks for your help, Greg

Danny

Hi Greg, I have viewed the page you have posted, it has the one-sidebar-right. So would it be possible for you to go to Wordpress Admin Dashboard > PageLines > Drag and Drop > Select the SB1 on the right hand side so it highlights blue and make sure you have the Primary Sidebar section active.

Please search our forums, before posting!

gbaustin

Danny, Yes, I've been checking that as well. It is in the SB1 and is active. Thanks, Greg

Danny

Hi Greg, Can you send me both a PM and an email danny at pagelines dot com with your websites admin account info so I can take a closer look. Im asking for both as I am due to logoff soon, but when I get a change Ill login sometime tonight and take a closer look.

gbaustin

Danny, Yes, I will do. I appreciate the help very much! Thanks, Greg

Rob

Greg, I am not sure when Danny is going to get the email as he may have logged off by the time you replied. I'm sure he'll reply in the morning. Thanks for your patience as he tries to resolve your issue.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

gbaustin

Ok. Thanks for letting me know.

catrina

Danny should respond back (note: he's in the UK so there's a huge time difference).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Danny

Hi Greg, OK, I have logged into your website and found the possible cause of your issue. Basically, you have in plug-ins something called install.php Custom install script. I am not quite what this is, but something is having an adverse effect on your PageLines install, even your templates are displaying in the wrong order http://screencast.com/t/G9BAoKBe Is your site, part of a Multisite setup? Can you explain what this Install.php Custom Install script is please. Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

gbaustin

Danny, Thanks for taking a look at the site. I'm not sure how the plug in got there. I'm sure I did something to have it load but I don't recall off hand. The site is just a single site. Can I just delete it? Where are you seeing it. I'm not seeing it when I go to the Plugin's Editor. Thanks, Greg

gbaustin

Danny, I see it now. How's the best way to delete it? Thanks, Greg

gbaustin

Danny, I went into the site file manager and it looks like it is part of the Jetpack plugin. So I deleted that plugin and it removed the file. However, when I go back to the site the Primary Sidebar still doesn't seem to be showing. Is there something else I should do to correct? Thanks, Greg

gbaustin

Catrina, I have 1 sidebar to the right as the layout currently. The video in the box in the content section moves to the left or right, depending upon which layout is selected, i.e. right or left sidebar. However, the sidebar doesn't appear. Thanks, Greg

catrina

Okay, let's try something out. Set a different page as the home page (with just text - no video) with the same settings (primary sidebar not set to hide) and see if the sidebar shows up on that page.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

gbaustin

Catrina, I changed it and the primary sidebar and a footer column sidebar showed up. So, making progress :). Any suggestions as to how to incorporate a home page w/ video and sidebars that display? Thanks, Greg

Danny

Hi Greg, The simplest way to add a video to your page and have it displayed as your homepage, with sidebars. Would be to do this: 1. Login to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Go to Pages 2. Create a new page and called it Home or something similar and then click on the HTML tab, that in the top right corner of the content editor. 3. Once the HTML Tab is selected, add the embed code for your video to the content area and then save the page. 4. Now to go Wordpress Admin Dashboard > PageLines > Drag and Drop and select the template that your page is using, Template | Default is set to all newly created pages by default. 5. Click on Page Templates so that it highlights blue and then make sure that the Content Section is active. 6. Then click on the Content Area (next to Page Templates) so that it highlights blue and make sure the PostLoop section is active. 7. Once both sections, are active follow the instructions on this page to make your newly created page in step 2 set as your homepage (Frontpage) http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page#Creating_a_Static_Front_Page Once you have followed all these steps, refresh your website and your homepage should have your video displayed along with sidebars.

gbaustin

Danny/Catrina, That got it working. Thank you very, very much for both of your assistance. It is very much appreciated!!! Thanks, Greg

Danny

Hi Greg, No problem at all!