Sign in to follow this  
szool

sidebar not supporting multiple instances

szool

I have tried several plugins that all support multiple-instances (you can add them more than once to the sidebar) and confirmed with support that multiple instance does work, but it does NOT work on my theme. They say it is a problem with the theme itself. I have an example of this on my site right now... the drop-down widgets "Archives" and "News & Events". I noticed that only the widget that occupies the top position will work. The rest will just do nothing when you click on them. So in this case the "Archives" dropdown works, the other does not. http://citizenmediagroup.com

Andrew

Can you provide a screenshot of the issue? I don't see any problems on your site. The theme stays pretty much out of dealing with this issue; did someone suggest what could be causing the problem?

szool

well the screenshot will not show the problem. In my sidebar there are two drop-down menus (Radio Archives) and (News & Events). Only the top one works. I can move them around and only the top one will ever work. The support people from multiple plugins all said it is a problem with the theme. The problem is that basically no plugin will function with multiple instances, even though the plugins specifically support that and no other users report experiencing the same problem I have. http://citizenmediagroup.com

cmunns

Are Radio Archives and News & Events using the same widget? What do you need the multiple plugin instances for in the first place? You should be able to use two different widgets for each

szool

They are both the same widget, added twice to the sidebar. The reason for this is visual separation of content, so each drop-down is cleaner and less cluttered. But I just tried using two different widgets, one for each drop-down and have the same problem. Only the top drop-down works. And if I change the order, the top one will always work the bottom never will. No matter what widget I use this is the case.

szool

I'll just work around this one.....

bryan-hadaway

Okay, so you want to show 2 separate archive drop-down widgets; Radio AND News & Events How were you able to separate what is shown in the drop-downs? Wouldn't it just be two duplicate drop-downs, just with different titles? We might be able to help, but we have to have super clear image of exactly what you're trying to do. I think I understand, but I can't be sure, have you ever taken a screen and then in a photo editing program drawn in what you'd like to do or change? I think that will be the best way to make sure we're on the same page. Thanks, Bryan

szool

I used a plugin to exclude certain categories so both drop-downs are different. but it is ok... I changed it up and decided to go with only one dropdown, it was not worth all the effort! :-)