Sign in to follow this  
revoltoid

Sharing, icons and the bar - How to customize?

revoltoid

Hello, Two questions about customizing the share bar and share icons; 1. Social media icons (not the share bar) can normally be displayed on the branding section. Does not having the branding section in the template automatically mean no ability to have share icons displayed in the header? 2. Does the Share bar have any customization options like getting the Facebook user profile icons who liked a post displayed? I found the line in the sharebar/section.php that contains this: data-show-faces="false", but setting it to true didn't help, (I didn't see profile pictures while logged in to FB) and editing the core files wouldn't be a preferable option anyway, because any changes get overwritten by updates I would imagine. Thanks, Istvan

Rob
The Branding area does not eliminate the social icons in the header or preclude you from anything. You can use a hook to add anything you'd like. Or, if you want to go easier... add a Universal sidebar to the header area in your Header via Drag & Drop, then include any social media widget you like in that sidebar via Appearance > Widgets. I use FaceBook's own tools added to my sidebar (you can apply it elswhere), to get the latest members with images on my site. That also allows me to select the size I prefer. We do have other FaceBook specific premium plugins available that likely do the same thing. Check the Store.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

revoltoid
Well, of course we can do nearly anything with plugins, but makes little sense to install additional ones for what the Framework is meant to be able to do. Social icons work fine in the Branding section, but there is no other way to display them as far as I know. I maybe wrong, that is why I asked. Unfortunately I don't know anything about 'hooks', so I will probably end up using plugins for both functions anyway.

Rob
It's important to learn hooks, particularly if you're planning to customize. Please read this helpful Wiki article: http://www.pagelines.com/wiki/How_to_Use_the_PageLines_Customize_Plugin It will give you the basic guidance and helpful hints.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

revoltoid
Thanks. I have been using the customize plugin for CSS, but as I know nothing about php the customize functions php is unexplored. On the page you mentioned there is a link with the anchor text 'hooks' but it takes me to a deleted page. What would be the best place to learn more abou the Framework hooks?

Danny
Hi Istvan, 1. Have a look at this post - http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/19812/adding-social-icons-and-search-field-in-brandnav-section-using-hooks/p1 2. I don't use Facebook, I don't even have an account, so I am not entirely sure what you're referring to. Can you provide a screenshot please, what you wish to have displayed please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

revoltoid
Thanks Danny, I will just go through that article and hopefully I manage it. if there is something that I am still unable to implement, I will ask here.