Sign in to follow this  
fenkam

StationPro3 not playing well with Firefox 3.6.7

fenkam

Hi Folks, I got Station pro 3 installed at www.crowdl.com/r. I've got the latest version of wordpress (downloaded yesterday from http://wordpress.org/latest.zip). PHP version is 5.1.6 and webserver is Apache with MySQL. Now, when you visit the above link with Firefox 3.6.7 (which I guess sis the latest), you will notice that the sidebar is at the bottom of the page. It should be the right sidebar. If you try with IE 8, you notice that it shows up really nice. Now, the funny think is that if you go to the same site using the IP address (http://74.207.226.193/r/) instead and with the same Firefox browser, the page will display as it should. Any idea? Max.

bryan-hadaway

It's appearing for me just fine in Firefox, might be a caching problem. Clear your cache, restart Firefox and check the page again and then maybe a refresh. Thanks, Bryan

fenkam

Interesting. I just did all that and it still is broken. I tried on another computer (first time to access this site on this computer) running FF 3.6.6 and I got the same problem. The similarity between the two computers is the same LAn and OS (Windows 7). I doubt it could be the network, so it has to be OS related. Which OS are you running?

fenkam

Hmmm is that something I would do? MAx.

bryan-hadaway

Did you mean "should" do? You don't have to go diving into pages of code, just look for possible markup issues within content you've added. Thanks, Bryan

fenkam

Oh, I see. i got the content from the pagelines demo content. So it seems that content has issues. Now the troubling question is why does it display well when I access it by IP address? Thanks, Max.

bryan-hadaway

Hmm, yeah... you could try removing all the place-holder demo content, disable any plugins to try and pinpoint the problem, if after all that it still is messed, it could be a possible bug. For the IP thing, the only thing that make sense is a caching issue, you said you tested that, so I'm not sure what it could be. Thanks, Bryan

fenkam

I did a complete fresh install of StationPro3 and Wordpress at www.crowdl.com/wordpress. I still have the same problem. So the problem is not due to the StationPro demo. Content. Th w3c validation engine shows three errors in the code. Not sure if this problem is due to those errors. Note this is the unmodified StationPro3. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crowdl.com%2Fwordpress%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

fenkam

I just tried on a different network, different machine, FF 3.6.7, and Windows XP. The issue remains exactly the same.

cmunns

I'm getting a 404 when I visit your site, but most definitely the issue is related to the second error returned by the validator. The missing tag on the `

• ` tag will cause that sidebar to drop down. Some browsers can autoclose these markup issues which is why it only appears to be a problem in certain browsers.

fenkam

I'm afraid, it doesn't seem like this is the case. The

problem is caused by the following segment from _defaultsidebar.php:
	  <div id="dtags" class="widget_tag_cloud widget">
		<div class="winner">
	 	   <h3 class="wtitle"><?php _e('Tags',TDOMAIN); ?></h3>

• <?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=8&largest=17&number=30'); ?>
</div> </div> [/code] I believe the error happens because the
[code]
tag contains no

. Now when I remove this segment from _defaultsidebar.php, the error disappears but the sidebar is still at a strange location. Since this problem is happening in the core of StationPro3, is there any chance that the pagelines developers could give it a closer look? I know only enough PHP to screw up everything. Thanks, Max.

fenkam

I'm afraid, it doesn't seem like this is the case. The ul problem is caused by the following segment from _defaultsidebar.php:

<div id="dtags" class="widget_tag_cloud widget">
		<div class="winner">
	 	   <h3 class="wtitle"><?php _e('Tags',TDOMAIN); ?></h3>

• <?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=8&largest=17&number=30'); ?>
</div> </div> [/code]

I believe the error happens because the ul tag contains no li. Now when I remove this segment from _defaultsidebar.php, the error disappears but the sidebar is still at a strange location. Since this problem is happening in the core of StationPro3, is there any chance that the pagelines developers could give it a closer look? I know only enough PHP to screw up everything. Thanks, Max.

fenkam

Here is what solved the problem for me: go to Appearance/Widgets and create your own main-sidebar. It will overwrite the default one which seems to be broken. Hope somebody will find this useful. Max.